What will my newborn's poos be like?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

In the first few days, a newborn’s stools will appear greenish-black (called meconium) and usually appears within 24 hours of birth. Usually made up of old blood calls and skin cells collected in the baby’s intestines while still in the mother’s uterus. Two to four days after birth, the stools become green and less tacky than meconium. This indicates that the baby’s intestinal tract is ready. After the first few days, the type of food ingested by the baby will determine the appearance of he/her stools. For breastfed babies, it is normal for stools to be: - mustasd uellow, green or brown - seedy or pasty - smells sweetish (as compared to regular stool) Baby will likely have bowel movements of at least five times a day. For formula-fed baby, it is normal for stools to be: - yellowish-brown to brown - in a texture that ranges from nut butter to pudding - smells like regular stool Baby will likely have bowel movements three to four times a day. Once a feeding schedule is more or less established, bowel movement frequencies may vary from more than five times a day to once every two to three days. Signs which indicate that medical advice should be sought include: - breastfed or formular-fed baby has not had bowel movement for more than three or five days, respectively - stools are hard and pebbly (instead of soft) - stools are thin, watery or mucus like - stools are red or black or white Information summarized from: http://www.whattoexpect.com/first-year/ask-heidi/newborn-poop.aspx You can also refer to this link, which included photos as guide (save this link for later reference if you are about to go for a meal though): http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby-poo-photos

Read more

I never got to see my son's poop when he was a newborn. The nurses told me that he pooped it all out before I had the honour to see it so it was only greenish in colour. Subsequently it became mustard in colour, before going to yellowish/brown since I switched him to formula. Ever since he has started on solids, his poop varies! Once, I fed him dragon fruit and it came out all pinkish with black little dots

Read more

Every baby might have a different shade of greenish black poo as a newborn. But it gets better and browner by the day.

thanks