What vaccinations should my baby/toddler have, and when? Are these vaccines safe?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Vaccination is maintained by NIR, and in Singapore, there are compulsory vaccines by law to be administered for our LO and there are other vaccines that are optional. Included the link and the schedule: https://www.hpb.gov.sg/HOPPortal/gamesandtools-article/3216 The consideration is whether you are going for the optional vaccines. The schedule is a guideline and PD will guide along the way. Our LO has slightly time delay for 2-3 weeks for the vaccinations as previously administering vaccines should be carried out when baby is in good condition, ie not sick. Vaccination is considered as precautionary measure to build up immunity towards certain sickness. There is another one vaccination against JE which is not in the listing and we are going to consult our PD. Hope that's help in what we as parents know by sharing and work with your PD who is professional in his area to ease your concerns.

Read more

Whether vaccination is safe, there are 2 schools of thoughts: 1. Vaccine is said to cause autism, or brain damage, or multiple sclerosis, or seizures. 2. Vaccine is safe and should be used to protect from diseases. I have doubts before on this too, but I read up Dr. Sears book to understand more about vaccination. Dr. Sears mentioned vaccinations are safe as the mercury contents are below the toxic level. You can borrow the book from NLB and read up to understand more. My approach on vaccination is, I try to delay those not compulsory one e.g. Pneumococcal after my child turns older. Afterall I feel below 1 year old, babies take in so many compulsory vaccinations already. For chicken pox and Hep A I will wait till they are much older then get vaccination.

Read more
Post reply image
VIP Member

First up, vaccines help protect your baby from various dangerous diseases and illness, and yes they ARE safe; so its always a good idea to get your child vaccinated. Next, ideally there are 7 most important vaccines that your baby should be given. Here's a list: - At birth: BCG, OPV & Hep-B - 6 weeks: DPT, HIB, OPV, Hep-B - 10 weeks: DPT, HIB, OPV/IPV - 14 weeks: DPT, HIB, OPV - 18 weeks: IPV - 6 months: Hep-B - 9 months: Measles There are optional vaccines also that you can opt for. I have listed them below: - At 6, 10 & 14 weeks: Ratovirus vaccine - At 14, 18, 22 weeks & 1 yr: Pneumococcal - At 1 yr & 18 months: Hep- A Hope this helps!

Read more

Here is the summary chart for immunisation in Singapore. http://www.hpb.gov.sg/HOPPortal/gamesandtools-article/3216

Post reply image

thanks