What is the right age to toilet train your baby? 12 months, 18 months, 24 months? Later?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

There is no actual "right" age to toilet train baby -- it really is up to you and how receptive baby is with the idea. I reckon, it's best to start when baby is old enough to understand instructions so that he or she will actually remember what is being taught. No point forcing the baby if they are not ready. I've read that healthy children are not physically and emotionally ready to start using the toilet or potty until they are between 18 months and three years old. Important to note that boys tend to be ready a few months later than girls. That being said, most of my friends start toilet training when their children after they turn 2 years old.

Read more

My eldest kid started late, about 4 y/o. His younger siblings learned earlier and faster since they watched the elder ones doing it. It is easier when siblings help to encourage the younger one doing potty training. My 3rd kid already potty trained before she reached 2, because she was excited to be on the toilet like her big sister. So just like what Yuna said, each kid is different and when they are ready, they'll learn it.

Read more

Instead of checking on the right age, perhaps you can gauge the response of your LO to see if he/she is ready for potty training. For example, what we do is we started off by prompting our LO @2+yr old every 3hrs and seat her at the potty, this method works well for us as it cultivates a habit to use potty regularly in the daytime then gradually extend to night time.

Read more

There is no right age. Each child grows at a different pace. It depends in your child. Is your child able to communicate, able to have dry diapers during his naps, able to differentiate between pee and poo? All these are the tell tale signs he maybe ready to start toilet training. Also you can practice and put him on the potty for a start.

Read more

It depends on the child. Some of my friends start training at 18 months while other do it later than 24 months.

I have a 15 month old and wondered when I should start to potty train him its tough to decide what's a good age