What is your favourite recipe to use up the leftovers in the fridge? Something that the kids love too?

13 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Our usual leftover is chicken adobo because we always cook this dish in big portion. Marinated in vinegar, soy sauce and garlic, this type of dish is very common in our home country (PH). I usually transform it into yummy snacks. One is chicken adobo on pita. I got the idea from a mommy blogger (http://bloggingmama.com/dinner-before-thanksgiving-pork-adobo-on-pita/). When I first tried it, I really loved the combination of flavours! The other one that I do is the adobo lettuce wrap which I also got the idea from another blogger (http://www.kimscravings.com/2015/02/adobo-chicken-lettuce-wraps/). If you want a different twist, you can try putting your choice of vegetables and additional ingredients.

Read more
Post reply image

How about "Chawal Ke Pakode" from the leftover rice. Here is the recipe: Ingredients 2 cups cooked rice 1/2 cup gram flour 2 green chillies chopped 1 onion finely chopped 2 tsps coriander powder 1 tsp cumin powder 1/2 tsp red chilli powder 1/2 tsp fennel, 1/2 tsp ajwain 1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander leaves Salt to taste A pinch of asafetida Oil for frying Method Method 1. Mix together all the ingredients, except oil and make a firm dough using water as required. 2. Heat oil in a deep pan. Shape the dough into small balls and deep fry until golden. 3. Alternatively you can also steam the balls. 4. Serve hot with chutney or ketchup.

Read more
Post reply image
VIP Member

I loveee re creating food! Pasta and casserole are the easiest do over food i usually do. Example: if i have bbq at night and have some leftover meat, i made it as ravioli's feeling. If you want to make it for your kids, just add their favorite sauce such as cheese or tomato paste. Yummm!

My mum used to use rice very effectively if they were left over. She used to make rice patty that we can have with variety of sauces and it tasted yummy!! Also, sometimes she made fried rice with vegetables. My mouth is watering so have to tell my mum to make it again :)

Fritters! It's pretty tough to go wrong with fritters. Add in whatever leftover you have - chicken, prawn or veges to your regular homemade fritter mix and fry them up. Have them with your choice of sauce, in our case - chilli sauce :)

I sometimes use leftover veggies to make soup next day, even kids love it. Or as Chiran suggested you can cook them with fried rice or put them in omelette. As for chicken, I reheat it or cook it in sauce, it tastes as good as fresh.

A potato hash! There's always an abundance of potatoes in my fridge and I would dice them and fry them with whatever veggies and meats I have leftover. Makes a good breakfast or lunch dish :)

I converted left over pasta into a delicious salad for dinner. Added a few groundnuts and boiled chickpeas for extra flavour.

Post reply image

When we have left over cooked vegetables we usually make stuffed sandwiches out of those. They taste really amazing.

VIP Member

I usually turn my leftovers into patties, pizza topping, sandwiches, pasta casserole.