What is the difference between MMR jab and MMRV jab?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

MMR refers to measles, mumps and rubella; while MMRV include an additional Varicella vaccines (chicken pox). Both MMR or MMRV is to be taken at 12 and 18 months (2 doses). Children may also get these vaccines as 2 separate shots: MMR and varicella vaccines. Thus, you can consider either: 1 Shot (MMRV) or 2 Shots (MMR & Varicella)? - Both options give the same protection. - One less shot with MMRV. - Children who got the first dose as MMRV have had more fevers and fever-related seizures (about 1 in 1,250) than children who got the first dose as separate shots of MMR and varicella vaccines on the same day (about 1 in 2,500). http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/vis/vis-statements/mmrv.html For me, I let my children to take MMR instead of combining varicella vaccine, as I prefer to take it separately when they are older. I am not in favor to give young children so many vaccinations at one go.

Read more

There are two options for protecting children who are 12 months - 12 years old against these diseases: Getting two shots: the measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccine and the varicella vaccine. Getting one shot: the measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella (MMRV) vaccine.

MMRV offers protection against chicken pox too (apart from measles, mumps and rubella)

I never knew of the difference either. Thanks for sharing.

thanks