At what age should we correct our toddler if s/he is still bulol (stutters)?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Magsulat ng reply

I think speech development starts as soon as your child starts to mimic sounds and babbles. And with this, he/she is slowly adapting and observing how the people around him/her acts and speaks. I've read from some articles before that toddler stage is a point where children can easily adapt and follow what they see and hear around them. And with this, it means that the way you interact and converse with your child play great role in his/her speech development. I've seen some parents, even my own relatives, talking the way babies do (for entertainment, yes) but it somehow affects the child if he/she keeps on hearing people speaking that way.

Magbasa pa

How do you communicate with you child on a regular basis? Your everyday conversation with him also plays a great role in his speech development. If you usually talk the way he does (babbles/baby talk), he will most likely continue speaking at the same level and rate. At this age, toddlers adapt very well to what they see. They mimic what adults do so might as well set as a good example in everything you say (and do).

Magbasa pa

For me there is no such thing as to what age should we correct our toddler's way of speaking. From the moment they started to imitate the words we speak, whenever we heard them incorrectly, we should try to correct it already. And besides, we shouldn't be talking"baby talks" to them, instead we should talk and pronounce the normal way, like they're already mature people.

Magbasa pa

As early the one year old toddlers should already be corrected with their communication development. I don't baby talk my kids and I can see that it helped them to speak easily with minimal stutters. Once corrected, they easily adapt to prounouncing the correct words.

Personally, I think you should speak to him the normal way you do with other adult people around you. Babbling and speaking baby talks with kids will make it more hard for them to speak the words properly.

My boys are late talkers but I believe that every kid learns in his own pace. I don't baby-talk. Just talk to them like you would anybody.

everytime s/he stutters you can always correct it.