Pregnancy with cervical polyp

Wanted to share my pregnancy journey thus far with a cervical polyp (in case you are looking for someone in the same situation). I was first diagnosed after having very dark brown discharge (coffee colour) up to 1 day after intercourse, and in quite large amounts. Went to o&g to get it checked and found a polyp. It’s a benign growth that can bleed when irritated. I was hoping it’d go away on its own but nope still there.. Was told to stop intercourse entirely but we’re newly married, and i felt so bad for my poor husband. I’ve had light spotting on 3 occasions over my past 20 weeks of pregnancy - through external stimulation and non-penetrative intimacy! Even having non-penetrative orgasms can cause a polyp to bleed. Concluded that there’ll be no more sexy time for me until i deliver :( The spotting will last for a day from bright red to brown, and stop the next day. When it bleeds, I know it’s the polyp bleeding but i can’t help but worry every time i wipe and there’s blood. All 3 occasions i went to o&g in panic, but thankfully cervix is closed and baby is ok. The impact this tiny polyp has on a couple’s intimacy and marriage is not something that’s discussed much or easy to find online.. especially in sg. So i just wanted to share my situation.. it’s not easy but thankfully we have found ways to cope as a couple. If you’re in a similar situation/ need to rant, feel free to reply to this post :) take care mummies!!

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

You're not alone. I had the same experience. I had a shock to see red flesh blood when I wiped myself. Rushed to see my gynae and found a polyp. I was advised to get it removed. I had it removed last month. I'm currently 19 weeks pregnant. The bleeding stopped after the removal of polyp.

Read more
3y ago

thank you for sharing mummy! my gynae advised against removing the polyp until after delivery so i’ll still have to wait 😅