Are you well versed with basic mental health knowledge? People often see the doctor pertaining to their physical health condition. Why dont people do the same for their mental well being too.

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

I think a lot of decisions on whether to seek help is based on fear. Whether the fear of stigma or being labelled with a diagnosis, and also whether the person perceives the consult to be of benefit (to bring about a change). In the same way, people who consult doctors for physical conditions are also selective. For a common cold, some people see a doctor quickly because they know they can get medicine to recover quickly. Some people don’t go at all because they feel it’s just a cold and it’s no big deal. At the same time, some women see a doctor as soon as they feel a small lump in their breast, and yet some other women refuse to see a doctor even when there’s a huge fungating tumour occupying the entire breast, bleeding and causing pain. They fear the diagnosis of cancer, they fear death, they fear being told there’s nothing the doctor can do to help. I wish there was a way to reassure people with both mental and physical health problems that they’re not alone, and that they can seek help without being afraid. ❤️

Read more

I majored in Psychology and while I was studying, I thought I exhibited symptoms of most of the disorders I read about. I think it is difficult for everyone to understand how to identify the symptoms and what constitutes "normal" vs "abnormal" behaviour. For example, most people would agree that they would consider themselves "OCD" (to use the term loosely) to a certain extent. So, when would one "qualify" for a diagnosis? Which brings me to my point that even if one think that they know a certain condition, he/she may not be able to recognise at which point professional help is needed. Also, the fear of being "labelled" as someone with a mental condition may also prevent a person from seeking the help that is needed. Hence, it is important to keep a lookout for loved ones and encourage them to seek professional help if one noticed some changes if needed.

Read more

Yes, I'm familiar with basic mental health knowledge as I'm a doctor and I'm running my clinic called https://compassionify.com/trauma-therapy-in-nyc/. Mental health is an integral aspect of overall well-being, and just like physical health, it's essential to prioritize and address mental health concerns. Unfortunately, there's still stigma surrounding mental health, which may deter some people from seeking professional help. Encouraging open conversations and promoting awareness about the importance of mental health care is crucial for fostering a healthier society.

Read more

Some of my closest family members struggle with mental health issues so I would say that I am pretty well versed in this area, in a layman's understanding. But that being said, one should not only read up or learn about such important issues if it affects them. One should learn about the signs, symptoms and care because you'll never know when you or any one of your loved ones will be affected. Yes, it's a taboo topic for most of us but it doesn't hurt to have open discussions and to be realistic about it.

Read more

For me, mental health is very important because my well-being depends on it. I found an online store with durban poison shatter https://westcoastsupply.cc/product/durban-poison-shatter/ and decided to give it a try. Now this product is always in my first aid kit and when I feel strong tension I immediately use durban poison shatter and it helps me bounce back.

Read more

Good day! I've chosen Luz Salas as my therapist for a start therapy at this https://us.calmerry.com/try-online-therapy/ website. She shown herself as a good listener for me. And now we're working on my infancy trauma. Luz’s approach is focus on healing and supporting the parent-child relations. Guys, I thank my counselor for openness and huge trust for me.

Read more

Yep, I majored in sociology, forensic psychology and moving towards criminal justice

VIP Member

Probably due to society understanding and the stigma that follows...