This morning, my 19mo son wouldn't stop crying at 5am as he was thirsty. I could tell from the dry-throat sounds he made. Once he drank though, he was completely awake. He tried to lie down in my arms but you could see he realised himself he could sleep anymore. So he signaled me that he want to go outside the room. Started crying when I still tried to get him back to sleep. Usually I am good at it but today he was just completely up. Maybe it was the water. But I did the right thing right? Well he's all up and energetic while I am super tired. Any tips? Should I have played with him in his room in the dark to avoid him waking up more?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I think it is just one of the bad days you have. Sometimes toddler will wake up from bad dreams and thus want your attention. Since he wakes up at 5am I believe he will replenish his sleep in the afternoon nap or go to bed earlier at night. If you still want to continue to sleep, you can place your kid at a safe place, e.g. playpen/playard and tell him to play himself. The last resort will be switch on TV for him to entertain himself for a while. A tired parent will be an angry/cranky parent!

Read more
VIP Member

If your intention is to make him go back to sleep, then playing with him, whether in the dark or not, isn't going to help him get back to sleep. I've heard of tired parents complaining about their kids who were wide awake at ungodly hours. Hahaha. You can try patting him back to sleep and singing lullabies.

Read more

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-1603)

Thanks Jamie. Haha well I didn't make him awake, he was awake. I didn't play with him, this was more a meant as a question. So you're saying I should keep him in his room and just speak to him?

VIP Member

If you didn't want him to be awake, you shouldn't play with him at all. Minimise activity to get him to calm down and speak to him in a soft tone. Children do listen. Most times.

thanks