Is there a scientific backed study on the age old Chinese tradition called "ge lai"? How do you go about it? Is it only being practiced by Chinese?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Magsulat ng reply

I didn't practice "ge lai" and I'm not Chinese but upon reading about it, I can say it's one of the more reasonable post-partum traditions I've come across. Giving birth is a strenuous process--not to mention the past nine months of developing a child all alone, after its conception. Therefore, confinement for mothers would be really helpful for them in order to recover. Modern science can actually back this age-old Chinese tradition. Moms should really be given rest whenever possible because conceiving, giving birth and taking care of a baby is indeed an overwhelming job. So much overwhelming that it affects not just a mom's physicality, but as well as her mental being. Hence, there are instances of baby blues, post-partum depression, or worst, post-partum psychosis. In Filipino culture, it's appropriated as "binat." I agree with Yuna. At the end of the day, every post-partum tradition is just a version of another that's practice from a different culture.

Magbasa pa

From my understanding, "ge lai" is pretty much the practice of confinement. It is based on 3 beliefs that a new mother is (1) more prone to infection; (2) has lost a lot of qi, or life force, which she needs to recover (3) the mother’s pores become open, so she is susceptible to “wind,” which can cause illness To me, it's basically a time where mothers rest and recuperate after births, eating the right kinds of foods and observing some do's and don'ts. Generally, every culture has their own version of "ge lai" which pretty much centers on caring for the mom and the newly born baby.

Magbasa pa