hi there. i m hving cough flu n post nasal drip. can i still breast feed??

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

If you have “common” illness like cold, sore throat, flu, tummy bug, you should continue to breastfeed. It is unlikely that baby will get your sickness from breastfeeding. If you go to the doctor, remind him or her that you are nursing so that the medications prescribed are compatible with breastfeeding. Most medications are safe to take while breastfeeding and even if they aren't, there are always alternatives that are.

Read more

If ure using nasal drop, I suggest to refrain from breastfeed. As far as I know previously from breastfeeding, my gp will refrain from giving me nasal drops whenever I went to them for flu. So if ure having a flu, try zrytec or loratadine. Even chlorophomine shld be abstained.

You can continue to breastfeed your baby as baby will get the antibodies to fight for the flu if she got it from you. If you are worry will pass to baby, wear a mask during latching and wash your hands and sanitise as often as possible before handling the baby.

Yes I continue to breast feed as it will pass some antibodies to my coming 3mths baby but I wore a mask when I am near him and wash my hands frequently esp when I pick him up

diana cozz i m also hving post nasal drip...i m swallowing it. will it affect