How do mummies cope w taking care of newborn

Rather clueless after confinement nanny left. How do new moms cope? Can’t figure out why baby cries sometimes. Stressful

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I agree with the post. Newborns are driven by basic needs: usually I'll check if it's time for feeds / diaper change/ needs a good burp after feeds. Im a solo caregiver in the day and I can say I am not good at telling her cues. For me, most of my baby's cries early on were all for feeds. Till now she doesn't cry over dirty diapers. Now that she is a bit older she does cry when she wants comfort and when she's overtired. She also fusses when she's a bit gassy. I only got better at reading her cues at 4mths postpartum but I have to say sometimes it's a bit of a hit and miss too. When my bb turned 2 mths, she lost her newborn sleepiness and I tried watching her cues for sleep and it honestly failed quite terribly for me. What helped me was having a routine and I watch the clock instead for naps and bedtime. So her feeds all fall within the designated wake times. Every child is different though and you may have to do a bit of trial and error to figure out what works for you and your bb. Be kind and patient to both yourself and your bb! I tell myself to always prioritize some self-care first, if I have to choose between chores and self-care. You are doing your best!

Read more
VIP Member

We didn’t have any CN. It’s just us and my mom (who hasn’t take care of any baby before even when I was a baby!).. we were all new, all clumsy, all noob! We made mistake together, panic together, learnt together, and laugh at it together! I must admit, it wasn’t all smooth and great!! All we could do when baby cry is latch/feed only!! That was the only cue we know!! Hahaha!! We only change baby’s diaper when we smell poo! Plus, I’m doing confinement, my temper was bad and it didn’t help in the situation at all.. crying baby only makes me more agitated!! But... after a month or two of trying different way to sooth a crying baby, we kinda get a hang of it and we managed our time (with the baby) better too! Of course we didn’t just miraculously know everything.. Along the way, we asked our friends/relative who are experienced, we googled for tips, we jot down all our questions and ask PD when we went for appointment. Really thankful for the supportive group we have and a very patience PD who answered all our questions and assured us that we’re doing fine!!

Read more

Newborn cries for a few reason. hungry, poop/pee - so need to change diaper, uncomfortable - gas/stomach discomfort. So can check for the above and if all fails, baby just wants comfort and just want mummy/daddy to hold. So just carry baby close and talk to baby. Sometimes they are insecure and wanna hear your voice and feel your warmth. Slowly you'll be able to sort out your baby cues and like what expression is her hungry, poop, discomfort or want you to hold her. It takes some time to get use to newborn. So be patient and rmb baby needs your love. Dont be over stressful and try to enjoy this journey! Take care!

Read more

after confinement, only left me and newborn at home, I had phobia. hence, I got a part time helper (day time only) to "accompany" me, she cook lunch for me and helped to shower baby.

I cant figure out too and after a month of doing it without nanny, my helper came and saved us. My bb was easy on her not me.