Pros and cons living with mother in law

Pros and cons living with mother in law

28 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

i am nothing but thankful for my MIL. she helped me so much. She comes over on weekdays to stay if she is WFH and does almost everthing for the baby. cook meals, bathe him and putting him down for naps or sleeps. weekends she goes back to her own home so we can have family time. the only downside would probably be maybe they sometimes feed your kids whatever they like? it may be abit worrisome if they fed them something and not tell you and if they get an allergy, can be hard to pinpoint. oh and also, its hard to sleep train my baby when she is around as my MIL couldnt bear to hear him "cry it out"

Read more

If possible in my opinion, the couple should stay on their own to avoid any problems with their in laws… my hubby stays w me and my parents and we recently had a baby. Hubby was rough with the kids so my parents stepped in to “lecture” him. End up my mil told him (pm) to “faster move out once our bto is ready cos my parents are overprotective”.

Read more

I feel that it depends on the mother in law personality. If your mother in law is nice and easy going person, you can consider staying together. If your mother in law is difficult to communicate and not understanding, don’t bother staying together. It will only cause conflict and make you and your husband in a difficult position.

Read more
3y ago

I used to live with mil before i gave birth. She was easy as i was very friendly towards her. In the morning on my off days i will ask if she eaten aldy or not, is she going anywhere or is there anything i could help with. I took the initial step to do the house work there’s where i learn that her me time is cooking so i wont disturb her when she’s cooking. Which is a plus cause i dont like cooking hahaha. But i realise she doesnt like to do the lundry which is also a plus cause doing laundry & cleaning is me time for myself. So she doesnt feel like we’re a burden to them. Show her that youre taking good care of her son and your own family but not too much. Let her have her time with her soo too. Wherever she wanna go we bring her out even if i dont feel like it. I show her respect and i get the respect that i want.

I don't like to stay with my MIL. we have communication barrel and many disagree on how to take care young children. argue with her before because of my son. she gave him those can't be give n allow him to watch phone when he was a baby. many things I have to do myself to prevent any arguments. but thankful she is moving out next year.

Read more
VIP Member

Can’t imagine staying with my MIL, after all she’s not my own mother, so I can’t be my true self, conflicts will sure happen imo. So for the sake of the relationship, I tried to avoid staying tog, staying over once in a while still ok 😅

pros: take care of you, make sure youre well fed cons: naggings , restriction on what u eat/drink even when gynae says its fine, checking on what you doing even when youre in the toilet 🥲 , not much privacy

she is a nice lady but not around anymore cause she will so take care of us when we were staying together...now we have no1 to help us take care of our gal as my mum also getting old. miss her..

TapFluencer

pro: someone with knowledge and experience will assist you. con: will have alot of disagreement especially when it comes to baby. someone will always interfere you and your hub life.

VIP Member

pros. u don't have to worry their safety staying alone and helpful when u need a break from babies. they can guide/remind u on certain things too. cons. too many cooks spoil the soup

VIP Member

it depends on personality. yea. i would because they dont really care about us and will still take care of us. it be better. of cos.. personally, i have to be a good dil as well