Aspirin to prevent pre-eclampsia

Hi MTBs/Mummies Gynae prescribed 150mg of aspirin, was told to take 1.5 pill and discard the 0.5 pill. I’m confused on why is there a need to throw the half pill away as it’s wasted. Also, why am I prescribed 150mg instead of 100mg? I’m worried about the dosage not being right if I cut the pill, as there is no line indication on where to cut. Anyone had similar experience?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I was prescribed the same too, but doc just said to keep the half for the next day. anyway, long story short, 150mg was too much for me, I was breathless, dizzy, and my BP dropped quite a bit (I already have low BP). So we sought for a 2nd opinion, doc sent me for a few tests and reduced the dosage to 100mg. I feel totally fine now, and switched gynae permanently. I think it really depends if you've noticed any changes after taking the asprin, if you think something doesn't feel right, look for someone else for a 2nd opinion.

Read more

hello, im taking aspirin as well. 1.5 pill. dont throw away the other 0.5 pill. eat for following day. 1.5 is considered low dosage i think. i taking it coz i had stillbirth previously, not for pre-eclampsia. nonetheless, dont worry about the dosage, i have been taking since week 12 and my baby is doing well now! believe in ur gynae.

Read more

Mine is also 150mg and throw 0.5 pill away .. I was confused at first and have the same doubt as you but when I read up, the amount prescribed to us has studies to shown that it has shown to be more effective .. So I bought the pill cutter from online and just cut then I usually take the bigger half 😂

Read more

I was also prescribed aspirin of the dosage 150mg. I used a pill cutter to cut the pill into half. but I don't throw away, I used the remaining 0.5 pill for the next day.

6mo ago

Use new pill each time sis.

Please discard the 0.5 tablet. It loses its effect when opened. I'm taking 150mg of aspirin too due to low ppap a.

I am prescribed same dosage and told to discard the half pill too. I bought pill cutter to cut so its more precise

Nope leh mine was 1 tab each time in prev pregnancy. Did ur gynae say why u had to take?

6mo ago

Mayb tats why. I just realised i only took for my first preg (and i cannot rmb why) now 2nd one i didnt 😰

My doc told me that aspirin is not stable after it is exposed