hi, is it possible to get pregnant while breast feeding? LO is now 3 months old, hub and I are planning for second one when LO is 6 months old so tht the gap between both baby is not too far. I'm direct latching on demand. Thank you.

21 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Yes, you can but it is after your period has returned and become more or less regular. Usually, it is around 6 months but it does differ for every woman. In studies conducted by the World Health Organization and researchers to determine if breastfeeding can effectively prevent pregnancy, results have shown that in 98 percent of the times, breastfeeding was a barrier to conception if these three criteria were met: - You must be fully or nearly fully breastfeeding. This means you should be breastfeeding at night and have regular and small intervals between feeding times. - You have not resumed your menstrual periods. Any kind of vaginal bleeding after the 56th postpartum day is a sign that fertility has returned. - Your baby is younger than six months. (taken from: http://sg.theasianparent.com/getting-pregnant-and-breastfeeding/) Once your period is more or less regular, you can try the common suggestions to help increase your chances of getting pregnant, here are a few: - Know your cycle: Understand the ovulation cycle to know when you are more fertile. There are subtle signs of ovulation, such as changes in basal body temperature and vaginal discharge. In general, for a woman on a 28-day cycle, she is most likely to ovulate on day 14 (taking the first day of the menstrual period as day one). There are apps available to help track your period, you can consider those as well. - Get your husband to avoid wearing tight fitting bottoms and stay off soy products, as these may affect sperm count. - Stay relaxed and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Best to be at your ideal weight as over exercising may affect ovulation. You can also get an ovulation test kit to help identify your most fertile days for trying (can get it over the counter, or purchase online). Here’s a great link with more tips on getting pregnant (including food to eat, positions to try, and other forms of assistance you could consider): http://sg.theasianparent.com/help-to-conceive-your-child/

Read more

Im a mummy of 2 beautiful children. First child weaned off at 6months the second one weaned of at 2years 3 months. And im taking care of them 24hours. :) im a truely great supporter of breastfeeding and also encourages mummies to wean off when its time to do so. Well its recommended to breastfeed up to 2years old. I just recently weaned off my LO at 2years 3months. It has been my goal since i started nursing him. I've tried Many methods from put+ing coffee powder , diversion to cold turkey. And finally, the method that was Success ful was, slow talking to my little one, my first born and husband. The whole family encourage LO. And finally the weekend when we all decide to cold turkey... I slept in another room alone. While my LO co-slept with my husband and 4years old. It was a truely emotional roller coaster for me n LO. Screaming, hitting, kicking and all those temper tantrums i heard of from other mummies. U name it, we even get it from my LO. This night sleep goes on for 4nights consecutively. Day nap was the hardest as im around. I lost to LO on the second daytime. But had to stand my guard and keep strong not to accede to the demand. I keep my faith and keep telling him that i love him and that he is a big boy now. Boobies are for babies only. Thank God from 5 days and then 7 days and then 14 days and now 2months fully weaned off Breastfeeding. He doesn't like formula milk and is drinking soya milk or fresh milk. Hes getting nutrients from other food source now as hes already eating. All the best dear.

Read more
8y ago

Yes it's possible I got pregnant after my elder girl was 15months. I was still breastfeeding.

hi.. its possible.. i got pregnant again at 5mo.. my menses was when he is 3mo.. fully bf no pump.. dl.. then i start to find my milk decrease when i got preggy again. so at 8mo he took fm.. now at 10mo.. my nips hurts alot when he is latching.. so i stop. but if u have milk still n can bf.. its good. just drink lots of water n nutrients so u can give both babies in n out what they need.. good luck! oo ya.. if u were to get preggy n ppl give u negative tots on their age age too near. just ignore.. bound to have this kinda of people.. :)

Read more

Possible, tbf on demand for both 1st and 2nd baby and bf thru pregnancy for 1st and tandem feeding both babies and now am 16weeks with 3rd baby. Even if menses didn't return but as long as you are having ovulation, you can get pregnant. Alot of cases happens to bfing mums before. You might need to test if you are having ovulation by going to a doc or getting those tester from pharmacy.

Read more
8y ago

hi mummy, it's possible to ovulate even tho menses has no return?

It is possible. My best friend was mixed feeding (70% breastfeeding and 30% formula feeding mostly in infant care) and she got pregnant a little after 6 months since her first was born. My friends were surprised but they are the go with the flow type of people so they are pretty excited about baby number 2. I am too!

Read more

Wanted to find out too..my LO is 26mths and still latching on like an addict whenever i’m home and throughout the night.. my menses returned this year Jan and we have been trying to get pregnant but all in vain 😔 Do I have to stop breastfeeding completely in order to be pregnant?

VIP Member

Yes it's possible to get pregnant while breastfeeding. Get those ovulation test kit to know when you are ovulating so you can start making babies!

VIP Member

My girl is already 31 months old, i’m still breastfeeding her. Period came back around 8 weeks pp. Not trying, but we managed to get pregnant.

VIP Member

It’s possible to get pregnant as there is still chance of ovulation while on breastfeeding.

Yes, i got pregnant when my #1 is 4 mths only! And i was fully breastfeeding