Hello parents! My baby is turning 1 and I'm planning to do a cake smash photo shoot for her. But i need ideas for props, can you spam me photos of your baby's cake smash photos?

13 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I've done this twice - and I thought the second time around would be much more successful than the first. But nope. No real cake smashing happened! I had to coax them into first tasting the cake, haha! But I'll share with you pics from my daughters' cake smash shoots. The first one - we went to a park and I set up a blanket with flag streamers in the background. The second - it was all about cake vs baby, nothing else. I also didn't want to mess anything up at home - hence, the minimalist approach. LOL. Definitely, if I were to do this a third time (gasp, another baby???), I'd choose a more colorful cake - maybe that would make them more excited about it.

Read more
Post reply image
VIP Member

I did one with my son at home, engaged a photographer (Kalz Studios) who brought her own props and setup - all I needed to prepare was my son and the cake! The setup was simple, just a plain white backdrop with blue paper flowers, bunting and balloons - and a chalkboard where the photographer wrote his name on. We started with my son in his baseball romper, playing with some of his favourite toys at that time for casual shots - before bringing in the cake and ultimately letting him be free in his diapers :) I couldn't find the link to my Facebook album where I kept all the photos, so I just screenshot some to show you the designs!

Read more
Post reply image

I tried to do cake smash for my baby outdoor.. totally wrong move.. too much stimulation for my baby and end up she didn't had cake smash.. partial also because she more timid.. so I would advice u the following based on my experience: 1. let ur baby feel the texture of the cake or cream before the actual cake smash 2. do it at a place she is familiar or been to.. or let her get familiar with the place before the shoot

Read more
VIP Member

She actually tasted the cake! But before this shot, she actually got scared after touching the icing. It was a new sensation and she didn't know how to react. But once I dabbed a little icing in her mouth, she was willing to give the cake a try.

Post reply image
VIP Member

My firstborn was a little weirded out by the cake. Actually - it wasn't cake. Just a big moist brownie with whipped cream and sprinkles on top. Not a good idea - since the whipped cream melted quickly in the heat.

Post reply image
VIP Member

She was a darling. I didn't take photos with a camera - but instead took a video using my phone and then just took screenshots. It's easier to catch the most interesting moments that way.

Post reply image

I don't have any of those photos but I saw this online at www.nikkiscottphotography.com and I think it is such a super cute idea and something I'd like to emulate for my child one day :p

Post reply image
8y ago

Hehe it's in the trend right now. Didn't do it for my first born but I'm going to try on my second. Looks fun! :) thanks for sharing a lovely photo!

I did 2x for my baby. 1 I did it at home ... with nothing ard. 2) I did with https://www.facebook.com/thealpstudio/ Their cake smash deco is like the same for all haha

VIP Member

With my second daughter, I did it at home. Since I didn't want to get anything else covered in cake and icing, I dispensed with the props and made it simple.

Post reply image

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences, Carla Perlas! Much appreciated! :)