Paranoid mum asking: what should we do if baby has nipple confusion??

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Agree with Nalika to stick to your choice. Either bottle or boob. Nipple confusion occurs because of the different mechanism used in sucking. Bottle feeding does not require a correct latch to function and milk flows regardless. Baby only needs to suck with his lips. Breastfeeding requires more effort from baby to perform the correct latch to coordinate the moments of tongue and jaw to milk the breast. To go back to breastfeeding, you need to woo baby back to your breast. Lots of skin to skin contact and encouragement will be needed at the breast. Feed baby when he is calm and relaxed and you can also pump a little before feeding so baby gets gratification within a few sucks. Since you're paranoid it means it hasn't happened yet and prevention is better than cure. Ditch all your bottles and pacifiers. If you have to bottle feed your baby, don't be the one doing it, leave it to your caregiver or husband. There's a lot of information regarding nipple confusion here: http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/feeding-eating/breastfeeding/common-problems/nipple-confusion

Read more
VIP Member

My baby is exclusively breastfed. When she was a newborn, she had a bottle or two of expressed breast milk per day. I was also worried about nipple confusion so I bought a lot of bottles (Pigeon, Avent, Medela Calma, Tommee Tippee, Spectra, Pur) and used them interchangeably. Then it came. One fine day, my baby went on a bottle strike. She would rather cry herself hoarse than to drink from a bottle. Before that day, she was perfectly fine switching between bottle and breast. Which is why I am direct latching her 100% now... All babies are different. Some have zero confusion. Like Nalika mentioned, you'd have to stick to one choice and "train" your baby from there.

Read more

I would like to suggest First Years Breastflow bottle to avoid nipple confusiong if you intend to do both latching and bottle feeding. The bottle mimic the suckling motion of latching, i.e. baby needs to use strength to suck from the bottle. Unlike normal bottle where the flow is constant and baby no need to suckle hard.

Read more

Decide on the nipple you'd rather have your baby taking - yours or the bottle's - and stick to that at least for some time.

This is how the bottle looks like and you can get from toyrus singapore or buy from amazon directly.

Post reply image

thanks