Is it ok to let my 18 month old watch 2-3 minute cartoons a few times a week? Or is no digital viewing advised till they're 2?

44 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It's personal preference. I'm a sahm and I don't let my girl watch tv while I'm around cuz I'm not there to watch with her and talk to her about it. I'll be busy doing housework. So she plays with her toys or whatever is interesting and near me. Pots, pans, clean laundry, dirty laundry, etc. Haha. I talk to her about what I'm doing so she's kinda involved and aware. Sometimes I'll involve her if it's safe and simple enough, plus not too messy, like taking the clothes clips from me and putting it into a container after I take down the laundry. When I'm done or she wants my attention and I could use the break, I start to play with her, chase her around, read, go out, draw, do random stuff. Boredom breeds creativity but also gives her a time-out after being engaged for so long. It's only when my hubby comes home and if he has time to watch, he'll switch to some sports or natgeo/bbc earth. Her fave channels are those with animals. "Watch animal?? Watch animal??" She will ask excitedly. If we're out at a public space like a coffee shop, I make it a point to face her away from the tv so that it doesn't distract her from eating (esp since we practice blw) and interactions with us. But if we were at someone's house, like in-laws, that's when I close one eye cuz it's not nice to impose. Anyway it's just a weekly affair and I notice it doesn't hold her attention for more than a minute. She's more interested in playing with the people she only sees once a week.

Read more
8y ago

Btw when she does watch her animal shows, we limit to around 15-30 mins, depending if we ourselves are interested in watching. Haha. Sometimes she will gladly read a book or do some other activity when I ask her.

Occassionally it is good to expose your child with ipad or tv. Restricting the duration is what you need to enforce. Like many has mentioned earlier it has its' pros and cons. By introducinh ipad or tv, they are able to sing along, dance with the music, learn their numbers, shape and abc. On the other hand prolonged exposure will affect their sleep and eye sight. So the best is limit the usage. At the end of the day it is up to individual parenting. Some may feel that it makes their life easier by letting them see or watch. You know what is best for your child. The decision is yours

Read more

It's really up to you :) Every parent has their own parenting style. For our 2.5 yo TV is part of his daily routine, together with mealtime, nap time, play time, story time and outdoor time etc. For us, everything in moderation. His little Brother is 1 and he usually Follows his brother's schedule. Personally I feel a couple of minutes don't really hurt and it gives you some time to breathe. It's when they start demanding TV time that's the problem..

Read more

Actually that's bull you can start playing anything that's educational preferably on TV as soon as your baby comes home because educational cartoons will help with their motor skills (talking early) and their colors and their hand eye coordination. I listened to my Dr and did not give my children any tv time but my sister did it her way and her daughter started talking way sooner then mine

Read more

Digital viewing has pros & cons. Pros like, children learn many things like language, colours, sizes, facial expressions etc.. cons like eye problems, addiction, imitating bad things etc.. Finally exposing children to digital viewig is good upto certain extent. Better train ur children to watch music, games, dance programs, national geography not only cartoons.

Read more

It really makes my job easier as in can just let my son watch tv while i get my things done. However around 18months time i notice my son speech seems abit delayed and thats when i decided to stop all tv for him. Surprisingly after stopping tv for around 1 or 2 weeks, he starts talking quite alot. So i feel it really makes a difference

Read more

for me I let my bud watch tv while i hav my meals. Tats abt 5-10mins. after which ll get LO to switch off so tat he koes no more watching. some mummies prefer not to as afraid ll affect their eyesight but as long as preventive is carried out i believe ok for a while. anyway sometime they need those animations for creative ideas

Read more
VIP Member

My kids started watching Television from when they were 2-3 months because I used to breastfeed them while watching tv. So they were used to it. In fact my boys could speak quite early as they would watch shows like Barney and Mickey Mouse. They don't have any eyesight problems and they are quite bright.

Read more

For me it's definitely ok . What's a childhood like if we were to restrict everything the 'experts' say so ? I believe childhood is made of fun , games , happy moments and lots of play . Cartoons are hilarious and Fun for kids . Y not . My toddler can laugh at cartoon shows . Isn't that fun to see

I let my son watch Disney movies or I have them on for him and he watches and plays or put one on when hes falling asleep hes almost 16 months old and loves lilo and stitch and Tarzan and chicken little and mickey mouse clubhouse and learning colors shows on kids you tube .