Does a 5 month old fully breastfeed baby still poo many times a day? Or is it a diarrhoea? Earlier on baby was pooing only once every 2 to 3 days. This week itself baby is pooing 2 to 3 times each day.

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

How is the bb stool? Normal? If normal shouldn’t worry If your baby is exclusively breastfed, her poop will be yellow or slightly green and have a mushy or creamy consistency. It may be runny enough to resemble diarrhea. Breastfed poop typically looks like Dijon mustard and cottage cheese mixed together and may be dotted with little seed-like flecks. Interestingly, its smell isn't half bad. There are many shades of normal when it comes to breastfed poop. One you might see is a greener hue, which could signify that you ate something different than you normally do. If your baby isn't experiencing any other symptoms, there's no need to worry. In babies, diarrhea is very runny and appears to be made up of water more than solids. It can be yellow, green, or brown and can seep or "explode" out of the diaper. Diarrhea can be a sign of an infection or allergy, and if it lasts for a while without being treated, can lead to dehydration. Bring bb to PD if bb has more than two or three diarrhea-filled diapers, or continues having diarrhea for more than a day or two.

Read more

Hi it is normal for baby to suddenly poo more than usual. My gal poo more often when she was teething. From once or twice a day to four to five times a day, even pooing when she was sleeping. After a week she was back to normal. However if your baby's poo is frequent and watery then it could be a sign of diarrhea. Or if you find that she poos a lot after giving baby a certain food it could be due to allergy to the food. Actually it is good for baby to poo 2-3 times every day rather than poo once every 2-3 days. Her digestive system is probably changing and maturing

Read more

I would be more concerned that it's diarrhea if the poo is more watery than usual rather than the increased frequency. Breastfed babies' poop frequency has a really wide range compared to fm fed babies. I'd also check that baby's not dehydrated, (no of wet diapers is the same, pee is not dark yellow or foul smelling and if there's presence of dry lips etc) and has no fever or lethargy, as these are really clear signs that warrant a visit to a doctor.

Read more