My nine-year-old daughter is becoming too dependent on her mother for every small thing. How do I teach her to be independent?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Allow her to be responsible for certain tasks and duties and allow her to face the consequences if she does not fulfil those duties. For example, after you have made sure that she knows how t pack her school bag, she is responsible for packing her bag everyday. If she forgets an item for school, she has to face the consequences. Do not jump in to 'save' her. Give positive reinforcement for her being able to carry out the tasks independently. Do not expect perfection as the priority is that she carries out the task.

Read more

Getting her to do the tasks herself and speaking to your wife to not help your daughter every time she asks for your wife's assistance. Also, try assigning her simple tasks around the house such as clearing the tables, helping with folding of laundry etc and praising her when she does the tasks well may help. Worked for one of my friends. :)

Read more

Have you tried sending her to day camps or one of those student holiday camps? Those are really great confidence boosters and teach kids to be independent while having fun and making new friends.