Bottles turning yellow

Hi, my new born is just 2 weeks old, and i have been using my haenim 3rd gen uv steriliser to sterilise her bottles after every use. In about just 2 weeks, most of my bottles (avent, pumpables bottles) are turning yellow. Can anyone advise if the uv steriliser is causing the yellowing or whether i am sterilising too much? Do i have to sterilise after every use? Thanks!

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I am using the same steriliser and have researched on this before...apparently the yellowing of the bottles were caused by the UV light however it does not affect the quality of the plastic. However for your own comfort, if u find the bottles have turned too yellow, u can dump them and purchase new ones which is what I did :)

Read more
VIP Member

Yes, pp bottles do not withstand uv sterilization well. I'd changed the bottles once they turn yellow as they may emit other plastic chemicals.. I'd since changed to ppsu bottles for babies use

VIP Member

It is a common effect of UV sterilization. You can opt to change bottles after 6 months, for your own comfort. 😄

VIP Member

Its normal. I use ppsu bottles.. they have a slight tinge of yellow in it n last longer den pp bottles

i have lots of bottles so i sterilise everything at once at the end of the day. so far not much issue

I'm using the same UV sterilizer and notice the same issue. It is quite common due to the UV light.

VIP Member

In my day we just use boiled water and I change bottles every 6 months and teats every 2-3 months

TapFluencer

It's the steriliser. Suggest you to use ppsu bottles better.

use ppsu bottles