My son has picked up some abuses from kids in his school and casually uses them in conversations. Ive tried scolding him and trying to make him understand its not right but he continues. My wife and me are worried, how do I break this habit?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

If your kid is around 3 or 4, ignore whenever he says the those words, as kids tend to do those things more to which we say, 'No'. And if he is older then you need to calmly sit with him and when he is in his best of mood, bring up the topic and try to make him understand that you feel sad whenever you use such words as they are not good. Do not over react. Tell him that you yourself don't use such words because they are not good to hear. Ask him how would he feel if he gets yelled or scolded by you? Give him examples of bad behaviour met by him by other kids and how he must have felt sad and try to relate it to this situation. http://powertochange.com/sex-love/new-baby-distant-husband/

Read more

First you need to check the root cause of this problem, When children use abuse words, they may not understand what the words mean literally: Explain the kid about the real meaning of the abuse words and how it affect others internally. Also tell some stories to make him/her understand that this is not a good habit. Meet the school teacher and discuss the problem to fix it quickly. Literal: Which character or habit that you cannot change at 5 years old you won't be able to change at 50 years old. So parents need to take care of your kids.

Read more

first of all you should ignore it and not give much attention to the same, as then your kid will keep doing it more and more. but sometimes, while talking to your son casually, mention that some words he used are not good, and that you don't want him to say them, as both of you, the parents, don't like those words. get in touch with the teachers in school and bring this up. if some child is using abusive language, it is not good and other children will also pick it up.

Read more

i think scolding will have the opposite effect of what you want. try talking to your son. if he is very young, he will not know the meaning and you can tell him that these are not nice words and he should stop using them. if he is older and understands that these are abuses, talk to him directly and explain that such words are very disrespectful and should not be used.

Read more

if he is very young and still in the formative years, tell him that this is not a good word and ask him to stop then. if your son is older, talk to him openly and tell him that these words are not respectful, and you don't like them being used in the family. instead of scolding, try speaking and explaining why.

Read more