My son is almost 4 years old and he still throws tantrums, crying and screaming hysterically when he doesnt get what he wants or is made to wait for something. Is this normal at his age? How do i make him learn to wait?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

i think you have to establish some ground rules here with your little one. Your child will now learn about the meaning of discipline and self-restraint. this is also the time when he will start experiencing and expressing a lot of emotions. it is fine when he throws a tantrum, but you will have to ignore him and be patient, and not react by shouting or losing your cool. it will only make him react more. let him do whatever he does and do not pay any notice. when he is done, ask him to stay in his room for some time, and then talk to you when he is fine again. tell him mamma will listen to you but you come to me when you have finished shouting so that i can understand what you are saying. when he comes to you, welcome him with a hug so that he knows you love him. tell him that it is not nice to shout or throw things, and ask him what the matter is. gradually your baby will realize how to get his expressions more sorted and how to communicate better. do not give in to the tantrums

Read more