My daughter attended a progressive play-school during kindergarten and now that she is grade one, I enrolled her to a traditional school. From two and a half school hours, she will be spending eight hours in school now. What can I do to help her cope up with the sudden change of school environment and school hours.

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Firstly, it is important to talk to your child and explain the new school curriculum. If she is aware, then ask her if she is excited or nervous. Answer any of her questions patiently and thoughtfully. How you talk about the new school will shape and influence how your child views it. Whatever routines you have previously, continue them, such making your child's favourite breakfast. It's always good to offer your child a little extra attention and to minimise any changes within the home. You can also try role playing at home as how to her new school would be like. Most importantly, during the transition, be patient with your child. If he or she acts up, be kind and allow time to adjust. Make sure the child gets enough rest and sleep as a time of change can be really stressful.

Read more