My baby is now 18 months, when can I stop sterilizing her feeding bottles?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I stopped sterilizing my son's bottles when he started his solids. His food isn't sterilized, and so is his powdered milk. It doesn't make any sense to sterilize the Avent Steamer & bowls each time before use and my son was already stuffing everything in sight into his mouth. Plus, I am one of those parents that don't believe in protecting my kids totally against germs and bacteria. My cousin is very particular about hygiene and cleaniless with her daughter but she is still falling sick much more frequently than my own daughte. (They attend the same child care).

Read more

You need to sterilise the equipment after cleaning (using boiling, chemicals, or steam) until your baby is at least 6 months old. After this age, cleaning and washing them well should be enough. You may want to keep sterilising until your baby is 12 months old, when she stops drinking formula.

I stopped sterilising bottles when baby is older than 2 years old, when their immune system is stronger. It is up to individual comfortable level when to stop. I have a friend who is still sterilising her kid bottles although the kid has already turns 4 years old.

VIP Member

My baby is 1 year old now and I sterilise his bottles once every two days. Nothing adverse has happened and I think you can try to cut down the number of times and see what happens. I still wash his bottles with the bottle cleansing liquid after each use though.

thanks

I stop after 1 year old