Coke in pregnancy

Any mums who drink coke everyday and baby is healthy? Share pls! Or is anyone currently preggo and still drinking coke?

18 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

Oh, here are some articles if you’d like some reading: https://www.babycenter.com/pregnancy/diet-and-fitness/drinking-soda-while-pregnant_40008584 Also, notice that the official Coca-Cola site mentions non-caffeinated alternatives for pregnant mothers, talks about the recommended daily caffeine intake but doesn’t quite answer the question: https://www.coca-cola.co.uk/our-business/faqs/coca-cola-and-caffeine-during-pregnancy Here’s another one on long term effects of sofas on baby: https://www.webmd.com/baby/news/20180427/soda-during-pregnancy-may-not-help-babys-brain I like what some mamas have said here about making an informed decision. At the end of the day, it’s your choice mama :)

Read more

My mum drank coke and only ate bread for the majority of her pregnancy when she was 16. My brother is now 33 and relatively healthy, considering his own health choices! For me, when I was in my first trimester, coke was the only thing that could help start up my appetite! But I would dilute it with water and ice so that i could drink more 😂 The most important thing to take note is the caffeine. Just make sure that you don’t overshoot the daily recommended intake for caffeine, otherwise there’s a high chance of going into preterm labour

Read more
3y ago

Same! Coke keeps my food down. Or else i will vomit/feel sick. I put a lot of ice as well to dilute it. I drink coke minis. Thanks for sharing!!

I'd best avoid anything that contains caffeine during pregnancy. Although the baby may seem fine after birth, or even a few years into early infancy, caffeine has been shown to affect their neurological development that could show up later in life - it could be learning related, or cognitive skills related. I've cut out all caffeinated beverages including milo, coffee and tea; and have replaced them with healthier fruit juices instead. May try this method and see if you can kick the coke? Watch out for sugar levels even with fruit juices too.

Read more
3y ago

I will! But as of now coke is the one that keeps my food down esp if im eating dinner. I drink milo every morning tho. I didnt know it has caffeine!

Haha, across the world there are mothers who drink copiously, do drugs, chug coffee, and still manage to deliver safely. The human body is strong and miraculous and often underestimated I feel. I'm sure there are many healthy babies and mommies while mummy is on a pregnancy diet of coke, but I feel you should think about this as making an informed choice about your diet, and managing the risk (Eg how much coke are you drinking, is your gynae worried about your weight gain, any diabetes?)

Read more
3y ago

So far no concerns on gd or restrictions on diet. More worries on effects on baby

Super Mum

Hey Charmaine! Sounds like you’re worried about drinking coke on a daily basis while pregnant. I think the thing is to consume everything in moderation and it’s not just about baby’s health but your own too :) Also, personally, in the third trimester, it felt a little difficult to drink carbonated drinks for me as I would feel bloated and uncomfortable.

Read more
Super Mum

Hi Charmaine, Coke is high in sugar and is caffeinated. While it is ok to drink it sometimes, it’s best to reduce intake as you’ll be at higher risk for gestational diabetes. Caffeine can also cause heart burn which is very common in pregnant ladies.

3y ago

Thanks for the information. So far my sugar level is normal and i do check it monthly with doc. More concern about effects on baby

i did drank a some of coke and baby born healthy. Just make sure you eat healthy food and drink well to balance the bad food. Plus exercise! exercise really helps alot for body strength. Thats my motto for staying in shape too.

3y ago

what exercise did u Do. ? currently I'm 19weeks .. can do push up during pregnancy?

I still drink my bbt/coffee/soft drinks whenever I feel like it, but ofc with moderation! I went for my gd test many weeks back and the results all good. You do you, mummy (;

3y ago

Thanks for this!!! I need this 🤣 i feel guilty whenever i drink but its the only sweet i drink so far. I cut down on chocolates and don’t drink coffee anymore. My monthly check ups are normal as well as my sugar.

oh no u sound just like me....i also addicted to iced coke. I had it almost daily during lunch my baby is fine, currently 4 year old!

3y ago

How was it for both?

🤭lol i nv control... whenever i feel like drinking i will just drink... esp in this type of hot weather...