Episiotomy

Have you opted for no episiotomy even when you’re subsidized? If yes, how was your birthing experience? Did the doctor respect your decision?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

May I ask you, please, why you’re against episiotomies? Especially for the first delivery, the vagina is commonly not stretched out enough for baby to come through, no matter how much your gynae/midwife tries to stretch it for you. So when there’s not enough space for baby to come out, an episiotomy is a controlled opening that they make to give baby space to come out. By controlled, I mean that they will cut it away from your anus and urethral opening (where your urine comes out from) and by extension, your clitoris. Without that cut, if baby can’t fit through naturally, the force is enough to rip the bottom open anyway. And when that happens, you can have multiple tears, or severe tears. You can read up about 3rd degree tears that some mummies have gone through.. they can get severe bleeding requiring blood transfusions, or tears through the anus that requires emergency surgery right away. I had a tear that extended upwards towards the urethra and clitoris, and that caused me so much pain for weeks after delivery... pain while trying to pee (not to mention, incontinence), pain while trying to sit down and breastfeed, etc. The decision for episiotomy shouldn’t be based on whether you’re a private or subsidised patient. It should be a medical decision, made for the well-being of the patient. At the end of the day, have a safe delivery for both mummy and baby, then you can focus on cuddling your little one after that 😊 Hope this helps explain it a little:)

Read more
4y ago

I’m glad you managed to speak to your doctor about it:) This actually needs to be discussed way beforehand, because at the time of delivery, it’s quite hard to ask the patient or even tell the patient sometimes. Haha. I know I was pushing sooo hard that the baby was just ripping my flesh at a fast speed. My gynae had to quickly perform the cut in order to prevent severe tears. As for pain, if you’re on epidural, you don’t feel the pain of being cut (it’s like a surgical procedure). If you’re not on epidural, they will put local anaesthesia so you don’t feel it either. Please don’t feel like your concerns of being cut are not important, and that doctors won’t “listen to you”. And it’s not true about class A patients vs subsidised patients. If the doctor listened to the Class A patient, and the patient had a severe tear as a result, it’s also the patient that suffers, right? Every patient’s concerns are always important, and there needs to be a good explanation by the doctor for the thi

VIP Member

3rd degree tear is no joke okkk!!!!!!!! im under sub and gone thru episiotomy. ofc i didnt want it before labour, all that birth plan thing. but once during labour, have no choice or you will put baby in danger. if i didnt get the episiotomy, i think ill be pushing the next 24hrs hahah

VIP Member

I think nowadays, they try not to do it. However, if it endangers your baby, they will do it.

4y ago

Yeah I’ve discussed it with my doctor and the reasons why I’m hesitant about it. Just that I’ve heard cases whereby doctors tend to listen to Class A patients’ requests more than the subsidized ones. I am fully aware that if it endangers my baby, it would have to be done but I am also aware that some doctors perform the procedure without consulting the patient first because it’s deem convenient to them in their area of expertise.