Going out with expressed milk

Hi mummies, How do you go shopping/ go out with your baby with expressed milk? Do you put a few packets of frozen breast milk in a cooler bag and thaw it when needed? Just thinking that it will be a hassle to thaw the milk when out. How do you do it? Thank you! #1stimemom #firstbaby

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Firstly plan how long you’ll be outside. Bring a cooler bag with ice packs/bricks and stash your frozen breastmilk, 1 or 2 packets/bottles depending on what you use. Usually with ice packs/bricks in cooler bag can last for many hours. Bring a thermal bottle that can keep super hot water. This is for when nursing rooms do not have water dispenser. Or you can’t find nursing rooms outside. Bring a cup to pour your hot water and thaw your frozen breastmilk. I observed the above done by many parents when I’m outside, something I would do if I’m not too lazy but most of the time I will latch on demand anytime, anywhere.

Read more
Super Mum

Plan. How long are you gonna be out and where. Access to hot water and baby room. Can your baby sleep in pram or baby carrier. Do you need to pump. For me… shopping time reduced drastically cause of the hassle of going out with baby. Too many things to bring “just in case”. Baby is too stimulated going out and refuses to nap or drink milk for ages. Didn’t like frozen milk. No access to hot water to warm milk. No access to changing room facilities. Etc…

Read more
VIP Member

Planning is key! So usually I will feed my baby once as close as to the time that we will be out and bring along another bottle for his next feed. If you are dining in, you may request for a hot bowl/glass of hot water and just let the waiter or waitress knows that you going to use got heating baby milk/food, they are usually happy to provide. Soak your milk bottle, or container with puree food into the hot water to warm it.

Read more

Yea really need to plan. I always try to pump slightly before i head home (before i bought packit). Now i follow my schedule (maybe pump 3-4h) with packit. Im lucky at the moment my girl is ok to take cold bm. Of coz when my per pump is not sufficient for her feed, we supplement wif fm.

VIP Member

I packed milk in bottle & store in a packit freezer bag with ice blocks & bring out a stojo collapsible cup (to put hot water for warming milk). most places either have hot water dispenser in nursing room or can get from Starbucks/coffee bean

VIP Member

I normally pump one feed and bring another feed formula or if convenient i do give direct feed . But it completely depends how much time I spend outside

VIP Member

need to know how long you will be out and bring the required milk based on the feeds, will need to put in cooler bag and bring hot water to warm it

bring 1-2 feed depending how long I will be out but definitely will bring breast pump along so that at any point of time I've milk for lo

VIP Member

Ya agree with planning... Usually we estimate the timing we would be out prepare one warm and one cold milk just in case

TapFluencer

I latch on the go or I being expressed chilled milk out in cooler bag. Not frozen ones.