jaundice check at polyclinic

Hi mummies, Anyone went polyclinic to check for baby jaundice? They will directly use blood test or use a handheld equipment before blood test ?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

The first time, they used the handheld scanner. Since it was high, they proceeded to do the blood test. From then on, every visit involved the blood test. Most of the time, it involved checking the total bilirubin (jaundice) level, but after the jaundice persisted beyond 2 weeks, one of the visits involved taking a direct bilirubin level as well. This test required a bigger tube/more blood, so they had to squeeze the heel longer (poor baby). Every visit, what they look for is a downward trend of the total bilirubin level, they’ll ask you about baby’s feeding and number of diapers, and also examine baby’s tummy to ensure the liver size is not enlarged. A low direct bilirubin level is also reassuring that the jaundice is likely breastfeeding or breastmilk jaundice and not some other medical problem.

Read more
VIP Member

If I never remember wrongly, they use handheld equipment. As my baby don’t have jaundice, so I’m not sure what the next procedure if there is.