Terrible blocked nose during pregnancy

Hi mummies! Wondering if anyone also experienced blocked/ stuffy nose during your pregnancy, especially at night time? I have difficulties in breathing thus affected the sleep quality. What do you do to improve the situation? Thanks!

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi Mimi! I suffered from serious blocked/ stuffy in my first trimester and couldn’t breath when sleeping at night or when in aircon malls/ places too. It got to the point where I could only breathe through my mouth and had dry, cracked lips. It was only after I consulted my gynae and he gave me prescription to get nasal spray from the pharmacy (Watsons/ Guardian) then I could breathe better. Do note that the spray contains some steroid but it’s perfectly safe for pregnant women. I took the nasal spray according to gynae’s instructions thereafter changed to alternate days only as gynae said it is best to continue till pregnancy ends. Also would suggest you hire deep cleaning professionals to clean up the dust mites in your house. Especially the bed and pillows as my condition totally resolved after we had our mattress “deep cleansed”/ rid of dust mites.

Read more
2y ago

Thank you ❤️

Expert

Pregnancy rhinitis is congestion or a stuffy nose that starts during pregnancy, lasts for at least six weeks, and isn't linked to an infection or allergies. It tends to get worse later on in pregnancy, and it goes away on its own within two weeks of delivery. Pregnancy rhinitis is sometimes confused with the cold, flu, allergic rhinitis, sinusitis, or COVID-19, although these conditions usually cause other symptoms like fever or itchy eyes and nose. There are many effective treatment options, like using a humidifier and exercising regularly. https://sg.theasianparent.com/pregnant-with-cold-symptoms There is an article that has relevant content on the same issue.

Read more
2y ago

Thank you very much for the article!! ☺️

I was diagnosed with pregnancy rhinitis since 25 weeks! Been having runny nose, stuffed nose, cold symptoms and cough from post-nasal drip especially at night. I try to cope by sleeping sitting up or taking Zyrtec when it becomes unbearable. My gynae approves me taking Zyrtec for my symptoms and it seems to help! I only take 5ml dose and the liquid one that’s meant for children. Also, can ask hubby to apply Vicks on chest, back, nose & throat before sleep. 😊

Read more
2y ago

Thanks for the advice! Hope you’re feeling better ❤️

Hi mummy!! I do!! Im at 24 weeks now! As i do have asthma, my gynae told me to take flu vaccine and whooping cough vaccine. So after i took my flu vaccine first, my blocked-stuffy nose literally gone. Now waiting for the right time for me to take the whooping cough vaccine.☺️☺️☺️ u should consult ur gynae on this mummy! ❤️❤️

Read more
2y ago

Yay 🙌🏼 Wish you a safe and cheerful pregnancy!

Buy the “Breathe Right” stickers for your nose. It helps open up the nostrils and was a great help for me. Effect is instant , don’t have to spend much. And certainly don’t have to resort to pills

2y ago

Thanks for the suggestion! Will check it out! :)

I try to live thru it. This phrase will pass. During these times, I will stack 2 pillows to slp, else I can't breathe. Whnen I reach 3rd tri, its gone.

2y ago

Hi Valerie, thanks for your sharing!! :) Hope it’d be gone when I reach 3rd trimester too…

Hope you are feeling better. I experienced this and use vicks at night as a relief.

2y ago

Thanks for your sharing!! :)