Folid acid 5weeks pregnancy

Hi, mummies. While waiting to get a referral letter from polyclinic to kkh, should I start eating folid acid now or wait to see doctor from kkh? If now which brand did you all buy?

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
TapFluencer

Don’t wait. I wasn’t really actively trying for a baby, so didn’t start taking folic acid until I got a positive on the pregnancy test kit. Was on vacation in UK, so went right out to Boots to get folic acid tablets. As someone else had mentioned, look for the ones that are purely folic acid (pregnancy specific). Once you go KKH, gynae will follow up with you on your prenatals. Just take what they give you lol

Read more

1st trimester only folic acid and whatever the doctor prescribe. e.g. any hormone pills. 2nd tri then can eat multivitamins. vitamin A too much is harmful to baby development in 1st trim. Anyways you go kkh also long waiting time and will always be different doctor, only good thing is subsidised. I prefer private, can ask many things and the ultrasound equipment is better too.

Read more
TapFluencer

was given folic acid by the doctor only after i went to poly to get a referral. read that it's best to take when you're trying for a baby but it's okay. anyway i ate till i was into the 3rd month of pregnancy.

You can get from guardian i believe 5mg! Remember to ask pharmacist if it is safe for pregnant mums.. there are some folic acid mixed with some other supplements that are not pregnancy compatible :)

polyclinic should have prescribed you with folic acid. take the folic acid until week 12 and start multivitamins there after.

1y ago

oh ok thanks 😊

TapFluencer

Start now. Can buy from guardian’s pharmacy

hmmm only first time mum would ask this questions!

1y ago

3 years apart.. I forget already😅

yeah you can eat now, i got mine from kkh

TapFluencer

definitely start

Are u first time mother