Big size baby at 36 weeks

Hello mummies, just wanted to know about my baby who is 3.4kg now I am 36 weeks pregnant. I am worried becoz still got 2 to 3 weeks for my delivery. Is this weight normal or will it be risk for my baby. Dr said need to go for c section delivery. Pls share your experiences. Also will this risk me for preterm delivery?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I was in a similar situation. My baby was 3.5kg at 36 wks. My gynae was pro natural but did tell me of the higher chances of getting into a long and hard labour if his weight continued to rise. I tried cutting down on my food but he still grew to est 3.9kg by 38 weeks. By then, I was still not dilated at all even aft walking and squatting alot. My gynae said tt likely his head was too big for my canal. I'm a petite 5ft 1 mama. So aft much contemplation i decided to do elective csect at 39 weeks because I didn't want to risk an emergency csect. Baby came out to be 3.8kg eventually. And my csect was a blessing in disguise as baby's cord was ard his neck during birth. Tt cld hve also been the reason he cld not progress through the birth canal.

Read more

That's quite big but hey mummy do not worry bcos I have a friend who has big babies - 4kg and she delivered via vaginal 5 times! Also, do not trust the weight. My gynae told me my baby was big when I was at 34 weeks but eventually he came out at a normal weight via vaginal delivery.

VIP Member

Wow, that is quite heavy for that gestational age. 😱 My OB recommended induction at 37W3D when my LO weighed 3.25 kg (estimated). My LO came put 3.23 kg via c-sect (induction failed). But no worries. I’ve heard of women who gave birth to babies > 4 kg via vaginal delivery. 💪🏽

TapFluencer

Didn’t know my baby’s weight beforehand but I gave birth to a 3.66kg. 30 hour labour though so used epidural… had a pro-natural dr so he didn’t ask me to do csect at all. I also used epi-no from week 37 to expand cervix, not sure if that helped

mummy how big was your baby eventually?

My baby weight is 3.5kg at 36weeks

And I’m scared