Working mummies

Any mummies stopped working halfway through your pregnancy? Last week I was admitted to hospital due to suspected preterm labour and was given hospital leave of 7 days. Just when I’m ready to go back to work, I suddenly developed fever and flu and tested positive for covid, thus another 5 days of mc. I usually have to take leave once or twice a month for my antenatal check ups. I have maxed out all my leaves and I don’t know what to do anymore. My manager told me that there will be consequences if I start taking unpaid leave. I’m only 24 weeks, heard that there will be many more checks to do when approaching EDD. But I don’t have any more leave to take. Am I suppose to quit? If I quit now will there be any places that will hire me since I’m approaching third trimester already? Will anything happen if I skip all these appointments? As my husband is only earning less than 1.5 a month, our plan is to rely on my income during maternity leave. If I quit then we have to figure out ways to stretch the dollar and I am extremely stressed out about that. Any mummies with similar experiences? Appreciate your sharing.

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Does your doctor have weekend slots? Or is it possible to talk to your manager about taking only a couple of hours’ time off during appointments and not count it as leave? Honestly, though, I didn’t like how the manager said there’d be consequences if you take unpaid leave; sounded threatening and discriminatory against a pregnant employee. It’s not as if you’re having fun at the hospital/clinic when you go. I’m sorry you’re going through this.

Read more

No you don’t have to quit, find out what the HR policy is for unpaid leave. Unlikely you’re able to find a job at this point. Even if you do, you may not be awarded with maternity leave at the new job. Nothing will happen if you skip the appointments actually, just ask which are the major ones you must go for.

Read more

Can take MC instead of leave. Request from the gynae.

12mo ago

Your manager is giving you a threat. Go to your boss or MOM. This is discrimination towards pregnant employees. Seek help from MOM. If this country wants to increase birthrates to avoid importing FTs, then they should not discriminate pregnant citizens.