Delivery process

Can mummies share how’s the process? Baby is handled to mummy after birth for a while, then go for cleaning and weighing before returning to mummy for skin to skin for 1 hour? What’s the checks and jabs that will be done on day 1? Can request to defer to day 2?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My baby was measured right after delivery, while my gynae delivered my placenta and made a couple of stitches for my wound. After which baby was handed to me for skin to skin for an hour and the midwife also encouraged latching in the delivery suite. First jab for my baby was also right in the delivery suite. It was done in my presence. There's minimal cleaning for the baby at that point because keeping the vernix on them is now thought to be more beneficial for them than cleaning if off immediately. Unfortunately my baby had to go to high dependency and I didn't have rooming with her for the first 24 hours. I had to visit her at the special care nursery. Unsure if you can defer the jab, you can check with the staff :) hope all goes well!

Read more
Super Mum

Baby is placed on your tummy while the umbilical cord is cut, then taken away for a while for cleaning and weighing (in the same room). While you’re being stitched up, they can place baby in the warm incubator for a while. When you’re ready after that, then they’ll hand baby to you:) For me, there was no time limit of one hour. I had baby all the way till I moved to my ward. Checks on day 1 are the vitals, diapers and feeding. Those are important. My baby had the BCG and Hep B jabs on day 2.

Read more

Sadly, I didn’t get skin-to-skin right after delivery as my babygirl needed oxygen therapy; she had pooped inside and her heartbeat was beating very fast. A baby doctor was on standby to check on her too. My babygirl was then passed to me when they pushed me to the ward. Direct latch thereafter. The nurses only cleaned her at night (I gave birth in the morning). Checks and vaccination were done the next morning before I was discharged.

Read more
VIP Member

Nice 👍🏼