What is a maternity pad?

Hello mummies, Mind sharing with me what's the purpose of the maternity pad? When should I start using it? Is it for post natal or when the due date is drawing near? What's the different between the normal sanitary pad and the maternity ones? Not possible to use panty liner instead? My EDD is on 14th Oct and this is my first pregnancy. Please help a sister out. Thank you so much 😇💕

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Maternity pads are for when you give birth already cause you’ll bleed so much, usually more than your normal period flow. That’s the darah nifas in Malay. Lochia in English, basically postpartum bleeding that lasts 4-6 weeks. Not sure if it hurts like menses cramp but I am guessing you’ll feel damn bloated from all that “emptiness” in your tummy that used to be your baby’s home. It’s similar to menstrual blood but you’ll need super-absorbent pads so normal sanitary pads might not hold that amount of blood. However it has been reported that some people do have lighter postpartum bleeding so normal overnight sanitary pads work for them. You’ll need to change regularly as well. Just get a packet or two and monitor your flow for the day. Usuallly it’s indicated on the packet. You’ll need a thicker one for the first few days or weeks. As of now pantyliners are sufficient cause I assume you do not have any heavy discharge whatsoever isn’t it? Also, hospitals will usually provide some maternity pads after birth. Side note, I read that your vajayjay will swell like hell after a vaginal birth so...yikes to that. They’ll also provide you with a cooling pad I think. Be sure to practise proper hygiene cause with a vajayjay like that, I doubt you can use the hose to spray.. 😖 I am so scared I bought the portable travel bidet off Shopee. Lol! Good luck!!

Read more
4y ago

I know right!! I’m starting to get anxious too. At the same time I can’t help but watch YouTube videos of natural and cesarean birth. But I believe all that pain is worth it when you get to hold your baby in your arms. :)

Hospital will put on the maternity pad for you right after delivery, till you’re discharged. So there’s no need to buy them beforehand. Heavy bleeding for the first few weeks. I didn’t like the maternity pads cause they are thick and uncomfy, especially after having an episiotomy. I used the normal overnight pads (for menses) when I got home, and the cooling ones for nighttime. Just need to change frequently.

Read more
4y ago

Will keep that in mind. Thank you! 😊

Hi there .. you will only start to be wearing a maternity pad after u gave birth . U will be like having full flow mensus(actually even more blood than usual full flow mensus) for the couple of few days upon delivering . Definitely a pantyliner wouldn't be enough . The difference of the normal sanitary pad and the maternity ones are the length and thickness . U will be given epikool pad too .

Read more
4y ago

Thank you for taking time to read and respond! 😇