LO chooses grandma over hubby and i

Hi mummies.. my lo now 1.5yo is taken cqre by hubby and i at home as we wfh, except for 2 days - 1 day to my parents' place and 1 day to in-laws'. However, whenever either grandma is around, she will choose grandma over us and would only want to be carried by grandma. If we want to carry her she will shake her head and refused badly 😔 Any of you encounter this? I have no idea what is happening. I don't think the grandmas pamper her more than us too. And she only spend one day a week with them, and 5 full days with us. Why will she not choose us over grandma! 😭🥺 I feel so sad and unappreciated sometimes 😭 i know she is still young but i just cant help it 😔

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

Hi there mama! I can relate to how heart wrenching this must be. Every mama and daddy want for their child to choose them over anyone else and I can assure you that your little one would too. I would like to suggest, if I may, looking at it from a different perspective: since your child only gets to see grandma during those times, she/he might wish to spend time with her? I would take consolation in my children loving their grandparents just in case I may need them one day for a date night out with the husband or an emergency which requires a caregiver whom with my children are comfortable. I honestly don’t think you’re being sidelined or not chosen over another - at the end of the day, she loves you and your husband very much and I can assure you that the bond it strong and she’ll still look to you for basic needs. I hope my answer helps and I just want to say that you’re doing a great job. Parenting isn’t easy but we are all just trying our best to get through the good and bad days and that, to me, is a lot :)

Read more

don't worry she will more attached to you when she grow up

3y ago

Hey mama, I can understand how you’re feeling. Just wondering if you’ve thought of it on the flip side - the fact that she only gets to see grandma once a week means she just wants to be with her when she can? While I can understand that you would like your baby to be close to you and choose you over the relatives, it might serve useful in the future - like when you and hubby need a break or date nights. I promise she still loves you both and will remain close to you.