Advice on delivery please

Hi mummies! I’m a FTM going 21 weeks. Currently going to KKH subsidised route. I really desire for a unrushed and unmedicated natural birth with hopes of unnecessary intervention unless me or baby is in danger. Idw to be pressured to get a c sect or epidural just because the doc wants to rush. (Heard of such situations) I was wondering if I should change to a private hospital so I can get to choose my doctor? I’m really not sure about KKH’s delivery too since I don’t think I’ll be able to choose my doctor who is delivering my baby right? Mummies who went through subsidised route please advise! Any advice would be helpful. Or any specific doctors in mind. Thank you. #1stimemom #firstbaby #pregnancy

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I just delivered at a private hospital; I'm a FTM and have the same hopes as you but had to do an e-csect so let me share my story. On delivery day, it took hours for me to get 4cm dilated (need to get to 10cm), and the doctor highlighted that there were instances when the baby's heart rate dipped during my contractions. So there's a chance it may drop more during actual labour and if the baby gets stressed will have to have interventions or a more complicated c-sect so I have to decide whether to push on for natural birth or not. When I asked for his advice, it's to c-sect due to the possible risks, and also I'm dilating really slowly (I'd been in hospital for 9h now) so it'll remove the waiting stress (not his exact words). I was not pressurized, but he laid out the facts and it is impossible for anyone to know if the risk is just 5% or 80%. I chose my gynae based on stellar Google reviews and a reviewer mentioned he is sincere and pro natural birth, but taking a second look now I see almost every reviewer had a c-sect and were thankful for his skill. My point is that at the end of the day the decision is up to you, not the gynae. He may be advising me to do c-sect coz he wants to just get it over with, or he may just be highlighting it for full disclosure and the risk was actually really slight, or it was actually quite a big risk and I made the right choice and saved the baby, but I will never know. So I'll pay more to choose a gynae for his expertise in case of complications, but unless you already have a gynae in mind and are willing to pay more to see him I don't see a value in paying more to avoid a gynae who is pro c-sect on delivery day. I hope this helps.

Read more

hi dear! as the other poster mentioned if u dun want any drugs during delivery, nobody can make u put them in your body.. tis is Sgp, every little thing also need to sign form.. 3yrs ago I delivered at KKH, subsidised.. I've never heard of doc's rushing mommies to take epidural or c-section, only when baby/mommy in danger, or the mommy wanted to pick auspicious date/time.. if u did really heard those nasty stories, then those are the hospitals, doctors you should avoid.. but my personal advice: if u are KKH subsidised patient, the only doctor you will meet is the Medical Officer on duty.. unless things turn serious then the midwives call the on-duty obgyn... other than that, it's the midwives hovering in your delivery room.. these women are powerhouses and will do everything within their power to get you to PUSH the baby out.. for me, that included scolding me, yelling, reverse psychology till my husband got scared too 😂 I aint the "ang moh" type, to think freedom to give birth without "violence", freedom of choice, water birthing etc., all I want is my baby arrive safely (and me too, if possible 😂) and he is 3 now 🤭 so I am forever grateful to the 2 midwives and the MO for journeying my little family thru the delivery 👍🏼

Read more

I’m at 35 wks under subsidised in KKH and the doctors that have attended to me have been quite attentive to my needs and concerns. I’ve also had consultations at a private hospital for scans and check ups when I was too anxious as my appt was too far away. You are allowed to be firm and decline and medications or epidural regardless whether you’re under private or subsidised. You can also choose your gynae if you opt for KKH private too, depending on their availability. If you choose to switch to private (KKH or private hospitals) you should do it soon as several good gynaes do not accept patients in late 2nd trimester onwards.

Read more

Hi, I went through the KKH subsidised route all the way to my delivery day. :) Delivery day the main person in the labour room with me was a mid-wife. She looked young but I must say she was really calm and handled all the situations well. She even instructed me how to push, asked for permission to do episiotomy and instructed my husband to hold my head up. I didn’t take epidural etc. All natural. The doctor only came in after my labour for stitching (that’s after abt 1hr after giving birth maybe cos my baby came out at midnight). Other than the stitching part, I was pleased with my first time experience at KKH.

Read more

private hospitals are more in a rush and will suggest c-sections more over public hospitals, because their time is money for private hospitals. try searching for scientific studies online, it has been well studied that private drs are notorious for pushing for unnecessary c-sections cos they earn more. the more pats they see, the more they earn, unlike public hospitals. if you can afford private hospital, why not private route at kkh so you can choose your dr?

Read more

Hi mummy. I opted for KKH private and it was a a good experience for me. I get to choose my doc from the beginning of my pregnancy and I get to choose if I want to go for epidural or not (I took the epi cause the pain was too much lol) Anyway, I don’t think any doc can force you to take any form of pain relief if you don’t want it. Example I didn’t take the laughing gas. Maybe you can try that route? Good luck mummy

Read more

I was at a private hosp and didnt felt that my gynae was in a rush or anyting. I also wanted to avoid taking epidural but hb felt i couldnt tahan alr so ask me to take (i was alr 7cm). My gynae only suggested i take epidural coz i was very tensed and couldnt dilate (i alr took v long alr) and he burst my water bag also baby dun wan come out 😂

Read more

government hospital like kkh has subsidiary and private route.. sub means cannot choose doctor, pte means can choose your desire doctor..

Try NUH! NUH is very pro natural, even more pro natural than KKH