bf and formula my newborn

Hi mummies, I feel completely lousy and as a bad mom because i cant get myself to fully breastfeed my baby and instead sometimes still have to feed him formula, my nipple got torn and it hurts when breastfeed or pump untill got blood come out... sometimes my whole body is aching to the point i have to ask my husband to hell me feed formula instead, my son only 2 weeks old but i feel that i wasnt good enuf to give him breastmilk all the way... i am planning to continue to breastfeed him as well as mix formula all the way till he is 6mths or 1 year.. but my mil and my friend been telling me i shud just full on breastfeed if not might as well give up, and that my baby wont be close to me and all next time if i dont breastfeed enuf, I feel really lost.. Am i making a wrong choice mixing formula sometimes at night when i am really too exhuasted or body aching? I feel like i am not giving my child better...

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

you are not a bad mummy! i completely understand how you feel. it was very very difficult for me to breastfeed my baby at the start and i resorted to mixed feeding with formula. i felt really lousy at first too that i could not provide for my son. i was constantly trying to increase my supply and i was so tired and stressed out from pumping/latching every 3 hours, just to get a really low yield each pump. it was exhausting and i cried so much. to be honest, there is a lot of external pressure from social media or from the older generation that you MUST breastfeed your child and that formula is bad. i slowly learnt to be kinder to myself and constantly reminded myself that fed is best! breastfeeding is also not “all or nothing”. you don’t have to be exclusively breastfeeding your child to be “successful”. if you can only afford to provide one bottle of breastmilk per day, it is still a success! once i let go of this pressure to “exclusively breastfeed”, i was a lot less stressed and then my milk supply slowly increased! i used to be only to feed my bub one bottle of breastmilk a day, but now at 4 months pp, i’m able to feed him about 4-5 bottles per day 😊 it also helps that my husband is able to chip in with the bottle feeding, so i can get more rest. more rest = more milk supply! you can do it mummy, take it one day at a time and don’t put too much pressure on yourself ♥️

Read more

Don't worry about what people would say. Your story resonates with mine & I totally feel you. 😢❤️ I was on low supply 2 weeks after giving birth & had to go on formula. My own mum stresses me out saying that my baby won't be close to me if I don't breastfeed. And whenever I'm resting & my husband handles the baby she'll taunt me by saying that my baby is so close to her father etc. I felt so depressed! Then, kaypoh aunties would chip in saying that breastfed kids are smarter & healthier blabla. *rolls eyes* Fast forward to 5 years later, now, my formula fed girl has grown up healthy, smart, & even close to me! Her past year form teacher says she's among the best students in class who can read & write well as compared to her friends. And she's close to me as I always connect, engage, get down to her level & play with her. Now no one can say anything anymore. It's easy to feel guilt in many areas, dear mummy. I know that feeling. It's like as though you're not enough & not doing great. But you do what you deem is fit for the situation. People love to talk. But in the end it's between you & your own child. Take a deep breath mummy. Take a step one at a time. Cry if you must. (I did a lot of crying w/o support too. 😢) Believe that it's you who can determine what's best for your baby. *hugs* ❤️

Read more

There will always be opinions about how we should feed or raise our children. There will be some guilt because there is always something to do to improve the wellbeing of our children. But just remember that you need to be mentally and emotionally well to love your baby in other ways too. My baby’s mostly on formula due to low supply and she’s met all her milestones so far. :) Just do you!

Read more

I have ache for 2.5 mths tbh. Baby is also on mixed feed because i dont produce enough to meet her demand. Right now at times i can supply just enuf for her feeds (coz she sometimes only eat 5 times).. i stopped latching her many wks back coz she doesnt want anymore.. dun feel bad.. like my fren told me, latch or nv latch, bm or fm, doesnt make us lesser a mother.

Read more

Hi mummy, please don’t listen to all these nonsense! Breastfed or formula fed babies are all Good as ling as they are well fed! Well fed baby = happy baby = happy mommy!