Breast pump issues

Hi mummies, This is my first time bf my baby. My baby latches for like 30-45 mins each side during feeding ( cause she keeps falling asleep till I rub her ears then she will start drinking again). I feel very exhausted cause of this as she feeding lasted for about 45min but in 2 hour time she’s hungry again. I consulted the lactation counsellor at kkh and they advice to pump out excess milk after each latching session so that can measure her intake. I bought a pump from shoppee but my nipples hurt after 10 mins of pumping. Any experience bf mums can help? I’m so clueless. Baby is going 2 months old and I’ve survived so far with 2-4 hours of sleep daily.

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I’m an exclusive pumping mummy (I used to latch but it’s too tiring) so I can only advise you on the pumping part. Your nipples should not hurt during/after pumping, if this happens, most likely you are using the wrong flange size. You can either have a LC measure your flange size or buy a nipple ruler (Legendairy has them on shopee). Using the wrong flange size will not only cause pain in the nipples, it will also affect your yield. Since you are already latching baby for so long, keep the pumping time at 10~15 mins, then overtime increase to 20 mins when your nipples gets used to it. You can apply coconut oil/nipple cream before you pump to minimise friction and tears. If you feel latching is too tired and exhausting, you can replace night feeds with bottle (you will still need to get up and pump), this way you can also gauge her intake. Whatever it is, your body will soon get used to this routine and regardless of pumping or latching, you will feel less exhausting. Hang on mama, goodluck! *I am using babyexpress be free btw.*

Read more

I've been through this. Still going through actually as my 4 month old reject the bottle so have to latch directly every 2 to 3 hours. it is slightly better now as he is able to drink more efficiently, 10 to 15 mins. Used to be 45 mins even up to 1 hour. Still got to burp him after, there was hardly any time left to rest. How about trying different feeding positions or carrying her and walking around while she drinks? See if can keep her awake. If not, I think bottle is the best solution. Pump and have someone else feed baby with bottle so you can rest. I use spectra pump, its good and easy to use. As for nipple pain, I think it will hurt if your baby feeds for more than 30 mins plus additional pumping. Use nipple cream frequently and ensure baby gets a deep latch with her lips covering your areola. Direct latching is very exhausting if your baby takes very long to feed. Hope you find something that works for you. All the best!

Read more

You should get other brand from Kiddy Palace or Mothercare like Avent, Tommy Tippee, Hegen, etc. And after each feeding or pumping put on nipple cream to moisturise your nipples and avoiding pain, blisters, cracking. And yes after every feeding for 15 to 20 mins or whatever time you do, you pump as well. This is to keep the momentum between latching and pumping be smooth. And try to always pump 3 hrs apart. Not too close neither too far apart. This is to avoid engorge breast or milk production overwhelm. If your LO gets hungry easily you can feed her formula aside from BM to keep her full and then fall asleep. I did this to my second NB as she loves to long latch directly but at the same time hungry. Formula fed will be additional when necessary if she still feel hungry. My main feeding for her will be BM. Hope this helps you.

Read more

It will take sometime to get used on pumping, also need to make sure you're doing it the right way or positioning the flanges/nipples correctly. I also find it painful at first, but since i'll be returning back for work i had to pump and stash milk. Eventually i managed to get used to it somehow. I bought cheap electric pump and still able to produce milk. I was advised to think happy thoughts/positively as much as possible whenever pumping or baby is latching. Strong will to breastfeed baby and direct latch are some of the key factors to produce more milk, which we know for a fact that it is really tiring and stressful at times but i guess our sacrifices to our LO to provide breast milk will not go in vain.

Read more
TapFluencer

Hi mommy u r not alone. I faced the same issue, but as they get older they become a pro and try to take whatever they require in 15-20 minutes. Pumping was super tiring for me I was waiting when my baby will start exclusively breastfeeding and it happened after 2 months

Flange size is important. That was the first mistake that my lactation consultant points out. I was using a flange size that is too big for my nipple.