Hi any mummies encounter by baby crying a lot at infantcare..my baby is 5 mths old..heard a negative feedback that my baby cry need to carry and pat then my baby is ok....for me usually i will carry her when she cry want to slp or cranky. Feeling disappointed of what the teacher said...

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Babies are "programmed" to be carry and pat when they are crying. Theirs emotional and need are real by answering their need we are telling them they can trust the world which help to build their self esteem in a long run. I will not say it is a bad "habit" just because of that. I nurse and babywearing my girl to sleep up to now (she is 4) and she did not develop any bad "habits". In facts, we have an easy time for we first send her to playground when she is 18 months old as the trust is there. She took school bus all by herself from day 2 onward at 18 months old. She is also the first to sleep when it is nap time without the need to nurse or pat. Children are smart and when they feel safe and confidence about themselves they can be much more independent than we think they are. Don't get dispointed by what the teacher's share and follow your mother's instinct. You are the Mother and you know your baby the best. Just sharing my two cents worth and experience.

Read more
VIP Member

Actually it's kind of a bad habit that when baby want to sleep we have to carry and pat them. It can last up to 1 years old, or even 18 months or more. It's good to have a guidelines, by when must change/quit the habit, as the habit can be a ongoing till very big. What if (if only) u intend to put ur LO in playgroup starting 18 months, teachers won't carry and pat them to sleep, but here i experience and heard: 1. Call parents to bring the kid home to nap. (As they are concern about the growth, as in this age they need nap to grow better.) 2. Let them stay awake till nap over (teacher don't care as they know 1 day LO will sleep on his own) Hence it's more so called "harmful" to our LO. Don't worry, they will naturally wean off the bad habit for you. Just that, u need to coordinate with teachers to change their sleeping pattern.

Read more

Can start baby with simple menu like cereals, puree as well as fruits like avocado, apples, bananas, pears or peaches. For cereal, you can mix with breastmilk or formula. For 7 months baby, some infants may eat 6-7 ouches or food per day while some babaies just started solids may be eating 1-2 ounces. So depends on individual and pace your infant gradually. If there is no allergic, then gradually introduce a new types of food like 4-5 days later. Do not feel as though your baby should be eating solid food accordingly to any schedule. Your baby will eat as much solid food as your baby's needs. So trust your baby's cues. Enjoy this phrase!

Read more

babies are meant to be carried and cuddled :) how long will u be able to do that? max..... till kindergarten? then for the rest of her life she won't need u to carry her or pat her to sleep anymore. Don get too affected by the teachers. if baby Don need to carry and pat to sleep perhaps they will have lesser things to do and they will be more freed up. but it's part of what they have to do. frankly if this feedback is not helpful or contructive as in it doesn't help in terms of the growth and development of the baby, you Don have to be too bothered by it. if u ask me, carry them as long as you want to! jia you!

Read more

Hi, I think is very normal for a 5 months old baby need to carry and pat. Baby feel soothed and relaxed when being carried. I guess your baby start having preference too. So, do not feel sad or discourage by the teacher said...Jia you. When I enrolled my boy ( 2 years old) to childcare, he cried for almost 3 to 4 weeks. I almost wanted to give up, luckily the teacher is very helpful and supportive and guide me along to adapt my boy to the new environment. Now he is happily in the childcare. :)

Read more

Different babies adapt differently in ifc .. I am an infant care teacher. To me some can adapt v fast and some really takes super long.. Sometimes on off crying. So jus don worry so much .. And it's normal for 5mth old baby wan to be carried. They feel no security. For my daughter, she enters ifc only when she is one year old. Yet I also worry she will not adapt but to my surprise around 2-3 weeks she turns out to be fine. She loves gg to school .. Always wave goodbye to me and chase me off.

Read more