My in-laws always bad mouth my parenting style...

Mom, I just need to vent a bit... Why does my mother-in-law always make hurtful comments about everything I do for my child? She always seems to belittle and... well, suggest strange things. For example, from the moment my child was born, I didn't want to swaddle them too tightly. She used to get angry and say I didn't love my child, that their legs would become crooked... When my baby was around 3 or 4 months old, she insisted on giving my baby honey on their lips because she said their lips were dry... I clearly didn't allow it and got angry at her. But she said I was a cruel daughter-in-law and mother, and she would tell other relatives that I'm old-fashioned and weird. Isn't she the old-fashioned one? Now that my child has started eating solid food... she always criticizes the meals I cook. If my child doesn't want to eat, she says, "Well, who would want to eat that, it looks disgusting." Oh, I can't take it anymore...

18 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

This is generation gap.. MILs always seem to have different parenting styles as they’re brought up differently (I guess). I totally get what you’re feeling because I’m going through it too.. it’s so terrible but just do what you think is right, stand your ground, talk to your husband and see what he says (support from him is really important) The words used are usually horrible & I can feel it’s belittling me too.. but I know she’s just over protective over her grandson and always use harsh words so that I will do better (they do not learn things like customer service / how to talk nicely when angry / when teaching us) so we can’t be expecting nice words from her.. (especially when they aren’t brought up that way) And also pls do get plenty of rest / me-time/ self care especially after going through all these… 🥺 Sending hugs to you and pls keep going because your child needs you ❤️ Are you the main care taker or is she the one? You can ask her what you should cook instead / get some advices from her on how to cook - just to show that you ‘listen to her advices’ and respect what she’s saying at the same time.

Read more