My in-laws always bad mouth my parenting style...

Mom, I just need to vent a bit... Why does my mother-in-law always make hurtful comments about everything I do for my child? She always seems to belittle and... well, suggest strange things. For example, from the moment my child was born, I didn't want to swaddle them too tightly. She used to get angry and say I didn't love my child, that their legs would become crooked... When my baby was around 3 or 4 months old, she insisted on giving my baby honey on their lips because she said their lips were dry... I clearly didn't allow it and got angry at her. But she said I was a cruel daughter-in-law and mother, and she would tell other relatives that I'm old-fashioned and weird. Isn't she the old-fashioned one? Now that my child has started eating solid food... she always criticizes the meals I cook. If my child doesn't want to eat, she says, "Well, who would want to eat that, it looks disgusting." Oh, I can't take it anymore...

16 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

hi mummy, im sorry youre going through a terrible situation … mother-in-laws are really something else and i feel for you. consider having a talk with your husband— discuss and settle on a conclusion regarding your MIL’s comments and actions. if youre staying with her, maybe move in with your side of the family (if possible, if not a friend who’s willing to help out. if MIL visits your place, consider telling her she’s not welcome until she apologises and stand your ground!) for the time being until she realises what she’s doing/done and apologises. youre a great advocate for your baby and youre doing your best and everything right! (the fact that she wanted to let your LO have a taste of honey just because the lips were dry??? she sounds like a danger to your LO… better to be safe than sorry, especially with people like that) please dont let some ignorant person get to you :( and take good care of yourself too! step away from the situation for your mental well-being. sending hugs to you 🫂

Read more