Dressing infant

Hello mamas, FTM mum here, appreciate if you can share your experience! How did you dress your newborn during the day? My CN dressed my baby in long sleeves, all swaddled up and only with lowest fan turned on. I wonder if baby will feel too warm for SG’s hot weather. CN kept saying “it’s ok”, my mum kept saying “baby cannot catch a chill”… i get it but I am concern if baby will overheat? :(

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I dress them in short sleeves, sleeveless or no clothes. SG weather is too hot, my kids sweat super easily, even without clothes n max fan speed still sweat. I swaddle during naps n sleep but when awake remove swaddle, mittens n socks. Initially my mum also kept nagging that baby will catch a cold etc then I showed her my kids profusely sweating even when dressed lightly. My girl even got bacterial infection on her neck from heat rash.

Read more
3y ago

Understand how u feel totally! Do what's best for your situation ya :) But SG weather is really super hot, super easy to overheat, get heat rash all those kind of things. Swaddling is not really necessary/unnecessary, more of whether your baby prefers it or not, u can try just dressing baby in short sleeves n swaddle or no swaddle if long sleeves if they insist

I've never dressed up my kids or my 8 mth old infant when they were newborn like that during the day but I do swaddle them because of startle reflex but I don't swaddle 24/7. I only dress my baby in long sleeves and pants at night and also swaddle cos we sleep with the A/C on. Do observe your baby. SG is humid and I don't think that kind of dressing suits the day. The swaddle is fine but maybe change to a romper.

Read more
3y ago

thank you so much for the insight! :)

I never swaddled my baby ever since I left the hospital. It will not make a change. The weather here is hot and it will make it more uncomfortable for the baby. It is really a western practice influenced to us. But if you still wanna swaddle, maybe put baby in an airconditioned room. Observe also the difference between swaddling and not, if it makes significant changes.

Read more
3y ago

thank you for your sharing… yes it’s so hot here that’s why i am curious if swaddling is really necessary. i shall observe the baby more. thank u once again. :)

Super Mum

Hi mama, I dressed my baby in sleeveless onesies - no socks, no mittens. CFs are great but sadly many have not moved beyond old customs. Babies need to ensure that their body temp is regulated well. I’m not sure if you use an air conditioner but if so then I guess the long sleeves are necessary. A thin Muslin swaddle is all that’s necessary.

Read more
3y ago

thank you for sharing!

my place is very hot so my ac is mostly turn on so she is in long sleeve...but occasionally when no ac will be short sleeve. didnt swaddle initially but nb has been crying and not sleeping well so decided to swaddle her and she sleep better after..but only at night or when sleep time n ac is on.

I follow my baby’s cues. After awhile I realised baby seem uncomfortable being swaddled or in layers. I’ll only swaddle if in an aircon room. Had to go against my mum’s & mil’s advice because I see can see that my baby is uncomfortable.

3y ago

thank you for sharing… yea my baby sweats very easily. but my mum keeps saying baby will catch a cold and can only on fan speed 1, and cannot even direct at the baby. that’s crazy :(

Depending on the weather and the environment my baby is sleeping in, I dress them accordingly. Most importantly, my mum says, is to make sure the tummy is covered and warm to prevent wind from entering through the umbilical cord.

3y ago

thanks for sharing… yea i agree must be flexible depending on the env. my mum is just so stubborn and rigid about dressing baby up so warm :(

We still swaddle baby, but we turn on the ac to make sure she is comfortable. My nanny didn't let my baby wear long sleeves unless it is bed time cause weather is too hot.

Swaddling is to give baby comfort when putting to nap/sleep. If baby can sleep without swaddling why not? In the day just wear short sleeve and mittens/socks will do.

Super Mum

I used to swaddle my baby especially during naps, as baby feels more secure. But during the day, with no ac, I prefer to dress baby in short sleeves and diapers.