Placenta “Posterior cover os” - tell me more

Low lying placenta - anyone has experience with this? On our FTS report it says under Placenta: Posterior cover os. Haven’t gone over the report with the doctor yet, but tried getting a maternity insurance meanwhile and was rejected because of it. After some research, found out it’s low-lying placenta which, if unresolved by third trimester, may pose a risk of placenta previa. That’s when the placenta blocks the opening of your uterus so that the baby cannot be born vaginally. Our next appointment with the doctor is in 2 days, and we’ll ask all our questions then. But for now just wanted to know: how risky is this and how many of you managed to get this resolved naturally and how many didn’t? Apparently if it’s bad enough, I will need bed rest and must avoid strenuous activities, sex included (my poor fiancé lol). Any input is much appreciated! Thanks all! Update 3 Oct: Saw the doc today, she said that all pregnancies begin with low-lying placenta. It should move up by the next scan at Week 20 (in 6 weeks). Nothing to be alarmed about, just be careful not to run/jog, do weights more than 5kg, and not to have sex (how???). Hopefully everything will go well in the next 6 weeks!

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I had low lying placenta during 2nd trimester and faced difficulty applying for insurance as well. Got rejected by Manulife. But my gynae says its actually not high risk yet to have low lying placenta in 2nd trimester since there's space for baby to grow and >90% of the time the placenta will shift up in 3rd trimester. That's what happen for me. I just do lots of talking to baby and ask her help me 'kick' the placenta upwards. Hehe

Read more
2y ago

Nope, I went on with Great Eastern instead. Manulife was delaying my application too much, it was such a waste of time.

Yes with low placenta, you should take all due precautions so that there are no further complications. But don’t worry your doctor will advise you appropriately as per the condition. Take care!

My placenta was low too during the 1st half of my pregnancy. I went for a prenatal massage and it went well. Do not worry as there’s still time for it to move up.