Hi..my lo is a total breastfed baby since birth. she has at least 6 wet diapers a day but her weight gain is very slow. currently 17 weeks and weighing only 5.3kg. I don't feel any pain at all during and after breastfeeding but I notice that my nipple misshapen. I tried making my lo open mouth bigger to achieve deeper latch but it my nipple still ends up misshapen. Is my lo not getting enough milk thus the slow weight gain? it also doesn't help that she's a very active baby.

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi mummy, did the PD also has the same concern that the baby is not gaining much weight? I know that my baby gal is not a big drinker and her weight was stagnant or declined when she was about 4 months old. PD shared that I had to consistently feed her and tried not to distract her when she was drinking milk. For e.g, my helper used to play with her when she was drinking and hence my baby only wanted to play more than drink. In the end, I had to express out to feed her so that I know how much milk she is drinking. In a way, I felt assured that she had drank the amount though is rather cumbersome having to wash bottles and express.

Read more
8y ago

Ohhh... my lo does sometimes get distracted during feeding too. The PD suggest supplement with fm but I don't think it's necessary since I have a stash. I'm going back to work soon and baby will be on ebm whole day till evening. Hopefully she drinks more through bottle. Thanks mummy Tresa!!

You can check her weight against the baby book. Usually, at 3 months, there is a growth spurt. But with some babies it is not dramatic. Every baby is different after all. If the weight gain is steady and still within the curve, then it is fine. You should only be concerned if there is a dramatic drop in weight.

Read more

Continue to feed baby. Try to keep baby distracted whilst drinking. You may also want to encourage her to drink more milk. You can gently latch and unlatch that works for me and my boy. Hope it helps you too.