My LO is a mth plus and I'm feeding her ebm i dont latch. Firstly, i keep getting this tingling shooting pain in my breasts before/after pumping.. i read that it is the let down reflux? but it's quite uncomfortable and slightly painful. secondly, every time i pump i only get 130-150ml for both sides.. i feel my supply is getting lesser. I pump at least every 3h and sometimes dont pump for MAX 10hrs, every session is about 10mins on each breast. thirdly, I've thought of stopping my milk production due to the discomfort etc. I'm still fighting about this as i feel extremely guilty if i stop fully. I'm in such a dilemma as im not sure if my LO can get the nutrients, good benefits from formula. i know a lot mummies will encourage to continue breastfeeding but i need some opinions

1 Reply
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

Hi mummy, Yes the tingling sensation is probably letdown reflex. It should be fine if it's only slightly painful. 130-150ml every 3 hours is not too little, I'd say it's normal. I get about the same amount. However try not to go so long without pumping - I'd say 5 hours max if you'd like to keep the supply up. Please don't feel guilty if you're really tired and want to give up. Most importantly you should feel strong and be there for the baby. I feel exclusive pumping is much harder and more tiring than direct latching, so if direct latching is really not an option then just go for formula. Nutrient wise there shouldn't be a big difference between breastmilk and formula.

Read more