Itchy scalp

My LO has been putting medicated oil on her head since she was 1 week old, as My mil says that it is necessary so that wind will not go into her body. Since she was 3 months old, cradle cap started to appear on the area the mediated oil was applied. So in order to combat the cradle cap more oil was applied to removed it. Now she is 4 month old, without the cradle cap already, however her scalp is still a little red and still itchy. Just wondering, if the cradle cap was caused by the oil and if it is necessary to put the mediated oil in the first place? Did any other mummy do it for their LO too? Should I bring her to see a PD?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

My LO had cradle cap after she was 3 months old. Slowly it will fall off and now she is 6 months old, no more cradle cap already. What I understand from online read was cradle cap will also cause some redness on the some part of the scalp. My LO had like a on and off 1 or 2 patches on it. I didn't worry much because it simply fades away quite fast after if appear and it seems didn't bother LO much. But My LO like to scratch her ears and head, I dun think she has an itchy scalp, I thought it maybe some kind of self soothing action to them and especially when LO is tired or frustrated. For medicated oil I'm not sure if you meant ruyi oil. I don't apply on LO head but I will rub the oil on my palm then placed it on LO tummy and her soles (keep LO warm, old ppl saying). If you mean applying oil on scalp which personally I thought not so good bah, cause their skin is delicate and sensitive, not sure if direct applying the oil may cause irritation on scalp? 🤷🏻‍♀️ But if your LO itchiness on scalp persist and the redness doesn't goes again, I suggest consult skin clinic? Otherwise PD lor.

Read more
VIP Member

Yes, please bring your LO to see a doctor or pediatrician. And please stop applying oil on your LO head. Take care

Super Mum

Do check with PD further if the itch don't stop

Super Mum

For the itchy scalp. Suggest to stop the oil.

Super Mum

Dont need to see PD for cradle cap

VIP Member

See PD