my daughter has cradle cap on her scalp since she was small, was unable to get rid of it as the hair seem to come off together. will this go away eventually on its own? shes already 3.

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

You don't really need to do anything, but if it bothers you, here are some things to try: 1. Gently massage your baby's scalp with your fingers or a soft brush to loosen the scales. 2. Shampoo more frequently (up to once a day), but be sure to rinse out all the soap or shampoo. After shampooing, gently brush your baby's scalp with a soft brush or a terrycloth towel. 3. Some parents have had success using baby shampoos developed especially for cradle cap. If your baby has a stubborn case of cradle cap, an oil remedy might help to loosen dry flakes: Rub a small amount of a pure, natural oil – such as almond or olive oil – on your baby's scalp and leave it on for about 15 minutes. Gently comb out the flakes with a fine-tooth comb or brush them out with a soft brush. Wash your baby's scalp with a gentle baby shampoo. The last thing you want to do is leave oil on your baby's head, which could clog the pores and cause the flakes to stick. Try leaving the shampoo on for a few minutes before rinsing, to help cut the oil.

Read more
VIP Member

Using baby oil or vco to apply on the head and keep and make sure all the scalp have before bathing, after that than wash away with soap. Do it's for few days, and it'll get better, on and off my girl will have cradle hence i will do this for her.

Have u tried using baby oil to massage into her hair and then a thin comb to brush out the cradle cap. My 3 year old had it too when he is was about 6 months and we did that and it went away within a week. ;)

I've been told that coconut oil works wonders on cradle cap. Simply put a little on baby's head at night and brush it off in the morning with a baby brush.

Everyday before bath, you can gently massage baby oil onto the patches to soften the crust. Wait a few minutes then comb gently to remove the flakes.

I did mine the worst possible way for my girl. I scraped it off by gently scratching it. Managed to get rid of it and never came back ever again.

we use coconut oil or baby oil when my son was small. it does help. he was born with alot of hair. we didnt shave him bald till nw 4yrs old.

other than massage oil or vco, u can try mustella foam shampoo. i used it since newborn and baby doesnt haf cradle cap at all