My LO is 6 mths and a week old. We have tried giving her carrot puree and baby porridge for 6 mths but she cried and refused to eat. She cries as soon as we put the spoon near her mouth. Is she not ready for solids yet?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi, i agree with what the other mamas mentioned above. If baby is able to sit up some what well and can put things in their mouth then they can actually start solids. There will be foods that they like and dislike but keep trying and try you best to be encouraging and smiley so that they can develop positive feelings about solids. Just to add on, you should choose a good timing to feed your LO solids. Not when baby is too hungry or sleepy/cranky, that way, they wont be able to enjoy the meal. So some weaning advises that you feed baby their regular milk in lower quantities and then later give the solids so that they are not too hungry. Jiayou on the weaning journey

Read more

She may be not ready for solids yet but babies change everyday so don't give up keep trying. But pls don't make it too stressful for baby to have solids or force her to eat. It may end up making her scared of meals. If she takes only one or two mouthful and start crying so be it. You can perhaps try to eat in front of her to stimulate her interest in eating too? What I did before I fed my gal her first solids is to feed her with water/milk using spoon to get her used to it first

Read more

Maybe she doesn't like the taste, maybe she is not ready. Have you tried giving other types of food? Babies react differently to different texture and taste. Like mine loves avocado, but spits out banana. So continue to let them try different food. 6 months is still all about exploring and not eating. Don't make it a stressful moment and don't worry if she doesn't finish up the puree you prepared.

Read more

Have you tried fruits puree? Babies may not like savory smells since they are used to sweetness. Change spoon? I changed until using metal teaspoon to feed my baby cos it looks the same as adult spoons. She willing to eat more with that.

Give her sometime. She may not be ready and thats okay. Let her explore at her own pace. Meanwhile have you tried other food? If yes and you get the same reaction i suggest for yiu to stop a while. Try again a few days later.

Try to give her first the snacks, biscuits.