My lo is 5.8kg Born on 9 april 16 4.5mth old PD and nurse said her weight gain is not enough. How to make sure her weight is increasing at good rate? Height is normal but weight is increasing at a slower rate. LO is bottle feed so i know how much is her intake. 6oz to 7oz per feed 2hrly feeding STTN. Is it due to my bm or LO nv absorb?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My firstborn is at 15 percentile and my second born is at 25 percentile. They are both petite size and I use to worry that is it my milk got not enough nurtients too until I meet a pro-Bf doctor. Firstly, the growth chart that most PDs use in SG is based on FM feed baby which has a different grow trend as BF baby. So they are not comparing Apple to Apple but Apple to orange. Secondly, they often does not take in consideration of parents' genes when telling you baby is too "light" even though there is a good weight gain every month. Lastly, even adult grow at different phase what make them think baby should all grow in the same percentile to be considered "healthy"? I will only concern if: 1. Baby is not putting on weight or there is a sudden drop of weight/percentile. Example: from 75 percentile to 50 percentile or more. 2. Not enough dirty or wet diaper. 3. Baby is alway hungry and does not feel satisfied after a feed or sleep for an hour or more after feed. However, do make take note there is certain months baby will drink more often due to growth spurt. 4. Baby is not alert or active. My firstborn is 4 years old now, still on my breastmilk and small size although she eat a lot but she is definitely healthy and smart. Size does not matter but health does, in my own opinion.

Read more
8y ago

there is a drop frm 50 to 25

VIP Member

Cos you're breastfeeding and hard to know hw much she is drinking, try to take more foods that makes your milk more fatty. Organic coconut oil is very good and healthy for baby too. Helps to boost milk supply too. How many wet diapers does she go through everyday? Usually should be around 4 to 5 wet diapers a day to ensure shes drinking enuf.

Read more
8y ago

bottle feed only 4 to 5 wet diapera a day poo mayb 2 to 3 times a day

Hi my LO is 6.3kgs and doc says he has put on more weight!? I compared my older daughters chart when she was 4.5 months and she was 5.2 kgs at that point. I believe the average the calculate is based on western metrics so Asian babies will be always underweight. I realized so many moms here with 4-4.5 months babies :)

Read more

Do u have extra bm? Store some in the fridge for about 2days then scrape the cream off the milk n feed lo or add to lo's milk. Do this as often as u can. This will give baby the extra fats to grow. After i did this, my lo went from below 25percentile to above 25percentile in a few months

8y ago

rest of the milk can do milk bath 😍

VIP Member

My LO is abt same month as you. He is now about 7.35kg. His fm intake now is 180ml. He also take bm too. Doc said he is growing fine. I think it varies for each individual child. Depending on his/her body intake and growth.

How heavy was ur lo at birth? My lo born abt 2 wks before yours is now 6.2kg. About the same as yours leh. But the doctor and nurse didn't say anything

8y ago

at birth was 3.35kg

VIP Member

Weight seems okay. My LO at 4.5 month is less than 5.8 kg and she was 90 percentile of height. Could be genetics - are u smaller built?

8y ago

i m not a v big build person

I think her weight is pretty good! Why did the pd and nurse say that?

U and hubby small or big sized? Sometimes it's genetic

8y ago

me small hub fat now